syno and salt??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
fish2992
Location 1: illinois
Interests: fish and things that move

syno and salt??

Post by fish2992 »

i have a 55 gal with mostly chiclids in it, i also have a syno. eupterus (fetherfin), and i am needing to treat one of my chiclid's with aquarium salt. i konw that most cats are intolerant to salt, but was wondering if this woudl be ok. i dont have a QT tank for the fish im needing to treat so if i cant add salt, anyother suggestions would be appreciated.
thank you
fish are friends not food
my stuff: 55gal oscar, 2 severums, firemouth, convict and a synodontis cat
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Exactly what you're treating with salt would probably lend itself to more helpful answers....

Barbie
Wutang
Location 1: Chicago, IL

Post by Wutang »

I have found a mild case of ich in my tank and have treated the tank with about 2 - 2.5 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons and raised the temp to 88 F without any apparent signs of stress.

My synodontis is the ornatipinnis hybrid so I'm not sure how sensitive it is relative to other synos. It's only been two days, but everything seems fine as my syno still comes out during feedings. The only difference is that my fish are more active due to the temperature increase.
fish2992

Post by fish2992 »

i just have a green severum with a rugged dorsal, anal and side fin. and was told that the quickest way to heal it was to treat it with salt.
fish2992

Post by fish2992 »

any one have any input if this is okay.
Wood
Location 1: N.Y. State
Interests: Catfish Plecos Tanganyikan cichlids

Post by Wood »

:D The temperature alone should solve your problem.
Doc_Piscis
Location 1: Southwest Virginia, USA
Interests: Pets (fish & dogs), Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Scuba Diving & NYC

Post by Doc_Piscis »

Bring the temp up to 86 degrees, and maintain it there for five days after you see the last spot fall off the fish. The temp, this high, alone, will kill the most sensitive life stage of the ich. No need for a salt bath.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Ummm... he said it had a ragged fin, nothing about ich... 86 is probably going to stress them more than help, no?

If its just looking a bit torn or frayed, try dabbing it with iodine on a swab. Just lift the fish out of the water, apply the iodine, and put him back. It will help it heal faster and prevent fungus, and not require any additions to the tank. HTH

Barbie
fish2992

Post by fish2992 »

thank you barbie. just any kind of iodine, or is there some sort of special aquarium iodine?
thanks for all the help all.
timetraveler
Location 1: pennsauken new jersey
Interests: fish keeping, rollerblading, scifi

sick fish remidie

Post by timetraveler »

now some people may flip out but i have had luck with 25%recomended treatment of coppersafe or ick gaurd 2,for scaless fish. but bausmans salt shouldnt hurt iether. raising the temp is good to and will work but i think 86 is to risky most heaters work on a set of points and sometimes theese points stick and that equals death and even the best heaters like titanium brake at wrong times.AND REAMEMBER HIGH TEMPERATURES LOWER OXYGEN CONTENT AND THAT CAN KILL THE FISH QUICK JUST GO WITH GOOD IFO LIKE THEESE BOARDS AND YOUR GUT AND COMMONSENCE AND ALWAYS READ THE LABEL AND MAKE SURE ITS OK WITH SCALLESS FIH ....I HOPE THIS HELPS AND DOESNT ADD TO THE CONFUSIONAL STATE THAT YOU MIGT BE IN .BRUCE
hello my name is bruce and i am a catfishaholic
JimLynchAZ
Location 1: Tucson, Arizona USA
Interests: Catfish, plecos, discus, African Cichlids

Post by JimLynchAZ »

I have found Melafix to work well to help beat up fish to heal missing scales and frayed fins. Of course a little time in a hospital tank or even behind a tank partition is priceless for a fish on the mend. 8)
Never walk away from a running Python.

Return to “African Catfishes”