Is this indeed an L-333?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Is this indeed an L-333?

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure this is a male L-333? Click here for a closer & bigger pic.

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Yes, it's L333.
Wood
Location 1: N.Y. State
Interests: Catfish Plecos Tanganyikan cichlids

Post by Wood »

Your picture shows me L260 Queen arabesque. Where did you get the number L333? I have the aqualog with I thought all the current sticker supplements and they only go to the 200s in numbers?
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

No, that is not L260. I'm almost positive that is L333. The supplements have fallen a bit behind... to get the latest numbers, you should take a look in the iCOSA here, André Werner's site (http://www.transfish.de), or Datz. You can also buy the latest Aqualog, which is fully up to date and has corrected some of the glaring werrors that were in the original Aqualog.

Rusty
Wood

Post by Wood »

I try to keep up to date. Lee Finley was supposed to update my aqualog on a regular basis. Well anyway is that number L333 aking tiger than?
Stuey
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Yorkshire, U.K.
Location 2: West Yorkshire UK

Post by Stuey »

hi there

I also think this is a L333.

I have 2 of these, which really show their more golden colours when settled in an aquarium

Great fish

Cheers
Stuey
Wood

Post by Wood »

:D For us less fortunate ones who do not have the up to date pictures and information,can someone please give the common name instead of L333.
hippyguy
Location 1: West Sussex, England

Post by hippyguy »

They don't have a common name, as far as I am aware, just L333. King Tiger plec's are a different fish, L066. :D
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

If all else fails, you can always try checking the CatElog here, for detailed pictures of hundreds of types of loris. The aqualog is being "redone" and published as a new edition, currently. If you do a search on the forum, you can find the ordering information for the new complete and "updated" version.

Barbie
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Thanks. The previous post I had, I thought it was a Scribbled pleco, unfortunately, the picture wasn't that great. This one shows it's fins flared out, since it was enjoying a carnivor pellet I gave.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I saw a common name as a Goldline Tiger Pl*co.

This is indeed a male L-333, correct?
Wood

Post by Wood »

:D I still believe the above picture matches L260 picture I have in my datz catalog. When I did a search for L333 the picture that came up was of a king tiger pleco. Pleco breeder where are you? Maybe you know better?
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Now you know my confusion. I first thought it was a Scribble Pl*co, then someone told me it's an L-333. The L-numbers were supposed to help ID various species. Even juvenile species could look different from the adult. I'm still confused.

Yes, where's a breeder when you need one.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Very interesting fish...
How big is your fish.... really doesn't look very big...
It does show features of both

Here is a picture of a juvenil L333

The fins pattern of your fish make me think that it is a L260 as well...
Cheers
Yann
Last edited by Yann on 22 Feb 2004, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

I haven't exactly measured, though I know it's more than 4", since I have a Gold Nugget, which is 3", in the same tank and I know my L-333(?) is at least an inch longer than my Gold Nugget. It probably appears smaller than normal, becuase of the size of the stones of the gravel. Those stones are actually a bit bigger than what I normally use.

That's the real color of my pl*c, black with slightly off-white (i guess beige) stripes. It's the best pose I got if him as he was enjoying a carnivor pellet.

So the L-260 is easily distinguished with a prominent black body with thinner white stripes. But mine appears to have both almost the same width, just the black is slightly thicker in some areas. The pic of the L-333 appears to have the same width for the black and white stripes, which seems to be thicker that what mine has. The pic of the L-066 looks like mine the most, except for the tail. Though it does appear that the stripes of the L-066 are more even, but just a bit thinner than what mine have. Unfortunately, it's hard to determine from the pic on http://www.transfish.de becuase the pic doesn't appear to be too clear or maybe it's just distorted due to the distance from the camera to the fish.

Maybe mine is a result of L-333 and L-260 breeding?
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Although the fish doesn't appear to match any of the numbers being looked at, I am inclined to think L260 or a variation of. What is the size of the fish? Both L66 and L333 grow to be larger fish.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Wood

Post by Wood »

:D Crazy Eddie. I am glad to see that the plco breeder has logged in. I had to check back because I just had a good chuckle. Right now on aquabid.com they have up for bid 3 King Tiger Plecos L66 and then 3 or 4 lines down 3 King Tiger Plecos L333. Good luck again. It's been pretty interesting so far.
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

My guess is also L260

Regards
Klaus
Wood

Post by Wood »

:D Thank you very much Klaus.
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

I would say L333. It looks no different then the 5 that I have.

Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
Wood

Post by Wood »

Why dont you post pictures of the ones you have hazard?
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

The plecos are calling!!!
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Although the fish doesn't appear to match any of the numbers being looked at, I am inclined to think L260 or a variation of. What is the size of the fish? Both L66 and L333 grow to be larger fish.
Thanks. It's currently about 4" or so. I haven't really measured, he's getting kind of shy. I just know he's an inch or so bigger than my Gold Nugget, which is at 3".
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
Wood

Post by Wood »

:D Nice picture of Queen Arabesque plecos L260. Glad we could help you identify the 5 fish you have. As the above quote states inclined to think L260 by the most trusted authority I have known of to date.(THE PLECO BREEDER)""
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Wood,

Thanks for the comments, but I really don't know about the most trusted part :wink: . Although the fish looks like L260, I am inclined to believe that it may be an unknown. The color seems darker than what is normally seen in L260, but the bands aren't as well defined as L333 juvenile or adults. I'm making an educated guess on the identification, but would not be surprised to find it listed in DATZ over the next couple months with a new L number :wink: .

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I've been following this thread and trying to decide whether I want to confuse the issue more or not ;) I think that the size of the fish in question is probably playing a part in the patterning confusion. This is a picture of my large male L260 (or at least his front portion)

This is the original fish that the question was about at close to the same size....

This is a picture of a larger L333, but its hard to say just HOW large, and the thickness and detail to the lines does definitely change as they grow.

I'm personally still voting for L333 on these, although I'd like to see Eddie's fish showing more yellow to make me feel comfortable with the guesstimate.

Barbie
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Thanks Barbie.

My L-333/260/066/??? did display thinner yellow stripes as I viewed it earlier today, but not to a point where it was as thin as your L-260. BTW, yours L-260 looks BEAUTFUL! The picture I provided was the best I had ever seen it display it's fins and all it's lines at the widest. It was REALLY enjoying the carnivor pellets I gave it. The non black lines of my fish are not a very bright yellow. I'm not sure if it was due to the flourescents lighting or my flash, but they are definitely NOT white. Just an off-white or beige color.

It would be cool if I had a fish with no L number, as Larry mentioned. But the bad thing is, I really would have kicked myself becuase I think it's mate was in the tank along with mine. I was debating to pick it up the same day or at least put it on hold. When I came back the next day to get a second look and for sure, put it on hold, it was already gone. :( Oh well.
- Ed

Wood

Post by Wood »

:D Way back when the question was first asked I had referred to the Aqualog Sopplement #10. The picture looks like the first picture. The same amount of black and white. It says"L260 Hypancistrus sp. Queen Arabesque Brazil,Para:Rio Tapajos,12cm. :D Barbie I am very glad to have your opinion. My Queen Arabesque look exactly like yours does. I referred to Planet Catfishes Catelog and found pictures under L333 that look exactley like king tiger and also other pictures under the same L333 that do look like your picture above. In closing I have to say I am thrilled that pleco breeder takes part in these forums. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

L260

Return to “What is my catfish?”