zebra Otocinclus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

zebra Otocinclus

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

I am planning to set up a tank to try to spawn these fish as soon as I can get breeders. Does anyone know which river they come from so I can get the water parameters correct? I know that they come from Peru, but that is the best description I have been able to find so far.

I have been told that they are difficult to keep alive. Does anyone on the forum have any experience that they can pass along to make it a little easier?

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Hi,
I have some of them and they are not difficult at all, just like the other oto's.
My plane is also to breed them but I have not had the time for a really try yet, I have also asked the importer here in sweden to mail the exporter for some information about them but no positive answer from them yet. They are fairly interested to give any information like the brasilian exporters when it comes to some of the fishes. The only one that gives the location of origin is a colombian exporter and that took some years to convince him about it.

Janne
RoyalRyan
Location 1: Swimming in the Amazon with a bucket and net!

Post by RoyalRyan »

I also have some of these fish and as Janne said they are fairly easy to accomodate and look after. They do not grow quite as big as normal Ottos and prefer a peaceful and well planted and furnished tank. For breeding I would recommend a tank of around 40L that is densley planted at the back and sides with bogwood and rocks towards the front of the tank.

Good Luck

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”