Compatibility

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Spiderfish
Location 1: St. Louis
Location 2: Missouri

Compatibility

Post by Spiderfish »

I am currently breeding mollies as a food supplement for my salt water lion fish, as such they are kept in a low brackish tank. Does anyone know of a catfish that can tolerate high ph and salty conditions. Also non- predatory. I think some of the synos might work, but any info is helpful. Tx
Spiderfish

Re: Compatibility

Post by Spiderfish »

29 gallon tank, ph stays around 7.8, salinity is roughly 10%, live plants are still living.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Catfish are primarily sweet water fish, only the Aridae live in sea/brackish water. But these grow far too large. Further yoou will not want a catfish with any predatory inclination.

Any fish you would add to this tank will a) be a risk for the fry and b) by polluting the water reduce the crop you want - fry of a certain size.

You best keep this a species tank
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

In addition, rare eel-tail, banjo and woodcats live in brackish water, but are all near impossible to find. All but the banjos would eat molly fry. If you lose the salinty, but keep the water hardness there are more options.

I've seen common plecos kept in low salinity water, but I can't think they'd be very comfortable.

But, why would you want a catfish in a molly breeding tank?

Cheers,

Jools
Spiderfish

Post by Spiderfish »

I just like catfish, I’ve been out of the hobby for over a decade, and I only know what I knew. I currently only have the fowlr tank, an a specimen tank with what used to be called megalodoras irwini. Not sure if the current nomenclature.
Spiderfish

Post by Spiderfish »

I was thinking that maybe a syno might work. Again, if I decrease the salt. Maybe an upside down? I’m not really familiar with African cats.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

If there's no salt, and it's just hard water then any of the Lake Synos would work. I'd avoid smaller jungle or river synos becuase of the hard water, but several hardy larger species would also work.

Cheers,

Jools
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

The problem is, Poecilia (black molly) is tolerant for salt, but they do need time to adapt. Therefore, remouving the salt might result in dead Poecilia - which may not be eaten.
cats have whiskers

Return to “What is my catfish?”