Featherfin & Petricola temperature?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Gazy
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:2)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK

Featherfin & Petricola temperature?

Post by Gazy »

So I have two tanks, one has Syno Featherfin cats (and congo Tetras) and the other tank has Syno Petricola cats (and BA Tetras).

The Featherfins are set to 26 degrees C.

And the petricola's are set to 24 degrees C.

My question is, what are the ideal temperatures for them?

I know it's within the recommended range, but I'm guessing there must be an ideal optimum sweet spot, so to speak?

Thanks in advance 👍.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Featherfin & Petricola temperature?

Post by Bas Pels »

They both come from the same water. Lake Tanganyica, so yes it should be the same. I myself don't keep fishes from that lake, so I cannot tell you.

However, keeping Lake Tanganyica fishes together with tetras from rivers wille not be a good idea - the tetrs will prefer softer water.

I would reshuffle the fishes
cats have whiskers
Gazy

Post by Gazy »

Oh, I thought the petricolas preferred harder, higher PH water? (Brackish)

And the featherfins preferred softer, lower PH water?

Bas Pels wrote: 19 Jul 2024, 07:43 They both come from the same water. Lake Tanganyica, so yes it should be the same. I myself don't keep fishes from that lake, so I cannot tell you.

However, keeping Lake Tanganyica fishes together with tetras from rivers wille not be a good idea - the tetrs will prefer softer water.

I would reshuffle the fishes
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:9)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Hi Grazy. If you can identify your fish to species, then others may be better able to help you. In your other post, as well as this one you are mixing 'common' names and scientific names. "petricolas" is the scientific species name for your fish from Tanganyica (if that is what you have). "featherfins" is a common name we here in the US use to describe either Synodontis in general (when we don't know what they are), or Synodontis eupterus in specific.

If you can, please identify your "featherfin" in scientific terms?
Gazy

Post by Gazy »

Hi :)

My 'fetherfins' are Synodontis eupterus. I believe.

naturalart wrote: 19 Jul 2024, 16:23 Hi Grazy. If you can identify your fish to species, then others may be better able to help you. In your other post, as well as this one you are mixing 'common' names and scientific names. "petricolas" is the scientific species name for your fish from Tanganyica (if that is what you have). "featherfins" is a common name we here in the US use to describe either Synodontis in general (when we don't know what they are), or Synodontis eupterus in specific.

If you can, please identify your "featherfin" in scientific terms?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Even in the tropics temperatures fluctuate due to the rainy season. Surface temps in the lake can range from 75 to 84F (24-29C) throughout the year. Keep in mind, however, that fishes would only be exposed to the extreme lows and highs for a short period during extensive rain or dry spells. For long term care, the sweet spot is likely in the middle of the natural range which would be 79-80F (26C).

Temperatures for your featherfin are a bit more tricky as it is a riverine fish and exposed to much larger seasonal temperature swings. It is also found in several different rivers in central and north Africa each with their own distinct hydrology. However, a rough average would be in the mid to upper 70sF (23-25C).

Hope that helps.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Gazy

Post by Gazy »

That is very helpful thanks :) .

My featherfin squeaker are currently at 26 deg c, so I'll drop it down to 25c .
Shane wrote: 20 Jul 2024, 12:11 Even in the tropics temperatures fluctuate due to the rainy season. Surface temps in the lake can range from 75 to 84F (24-29C) throughout the year. Keep in mind, however, that fishes would only be exposed to the extreme lows and highs for a short period during extensive rain or dry spells. For long term care, the sweet spot is likely in the middle of the natural range which would be 79-80F (26C).

Temperatures for your featherfin are a bit more tricky as it is a riverine fish and exposed to much larger seasonal temperature swings. It is also found in several different rivers in central and north Africa each with their own distinct hydrology. However, a rough average would be in the mid to upper 70sF (23-25C).

Hope that helps.
-Shane

Return to “African Catfishes”