Sexing L159?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 38 (i:15, k:15)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Sexing L159?

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Looking for confirmation on the sexes of these guys- myself and a few other people think all of them are male, but I was told that the stubby-bristled/tentacled fellows could very well be female. I had a definite female that sadly perished, leaving behind two female-less males; but recently got an opportunity to get a probable pair from someone local- I received one that was 100% male (Hazel Aquatics line), and one probable (?) female; i.e. one with oddly stubby bristles (from Freshwater Exotics).
Both of the 100% males (apparently both might be from Hazel Aquatics?) look like this, with a nice set of bristles/tentacles.
l159.png
This is the stubby one I got myself from Freshwater Exotics as a male:
l159mmmm.png
l159mmm.png
l159mm.png
This is the stubby one I got today:
l159m2.png
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."
Fallen_Leaves16
My cats species list: 38 (i:15, k:15)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Charlotte, NC
Location 2: United States of America

Re: Sexing L159?

Post by Fallen_Leaves16 »

Another pic of the new stubby-tentacled one:
l159m3.png
Picture quality's absolutely awful; sorry about that. Not sure how to fix it, either...

I can get pics of the vents if needed. Forgot to take vent pics earlier when I had the chance #-O
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably some sort of mutated goose, in today's day and age..."

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”