What other hobbies do you have?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
biomechmonster
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Chicago, IL

What other hobbies do you have?

Post by biomechmonster »

Besides fish :wink:

Mine are reading/writing (also my major, I'm a college student), movies (fave actor is Robert de Niro), Alien (the movie) memorabilia, McFarlane figures, tattoos, Jack Daniels stuff, horse racing memorabilia, and model horses. Oh and drinking myself to the floor, but that's not quite a hobby I think.... :roll:
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

well I have an odd fascination with the Pontiac Fiero, I also enjoy Everquest as well as Sci-Fi movies, books, and comics :) I absolutely love Dr. Who and am currently working on reading all the writings of Larry niven, he is most well known for writing The Ringworld and subsequent sequels as well as his short stories involving Known Space :)

I also enjoy Large trucks, fishing, boats, sports cars, video games, Japanese Animations... and much much more, lol
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
tiffnseve
Location 1: MINNEAPOLIS MN

Post by tiffnseve »

I draw, do some wood carving, cook. I like to read a lot. I have books scatterred everywhere all the time. I just got through reading some Larry Niven, though Robert Heinlein is my alltime favorite author. Hmmn, I like to do a lot of things. I go on "wanders" around the city and take photos. I go to cheap non meatmarket bars to drink. I avoid danceclubs, but occasionally bowl and play pool. I watch a lot of tv and movies, especially comic book to movie movies like Xmen and Spiderman.
tiff
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

I, too, am a college student. I like reading, watching my fish, going on drives, being on the internet, studying, tattoos, piercings, strolling around in the woods...My boyfriend got me hooked on Dark Ages of Camelot. So fun! I like watching movies, but I don't go to them at the theatre here because it's too expensive. My fave authors are Ray Bradbury, Terry Pratchett, Lewis Carroll...I know there's more! I just got the complete works of Franz Kafka and "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea" so it will be nice to have more books to read. :)
Line up!
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I like surfing the net with the TV going in the background (generally sports or pro wrestling). If its something like a good sci-fi show, that will get my full attention. With the advent of ebay, I have now gotten back into collecting baseball cards from when I was younger. I suppose I like to lounge out alot, so to counter act this, I work out about 5 times a week.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Collecting fish related books, fishing, taking photos, camping, and playing in the jungle in my Land Rover. Actually, those are all pretty much related to fish, collecting fishes, or taking pictures of fish. I also read a lot. Also a Sci-Fi fan (are we all geeks or what?) and I agree with Tiffnseve, Heinlein was the best.

My Rover "Mi Corroncho" (My Pleco). The headlights are blue so that when turned on it looks like a big black Panaque cochliodon with shiny blue eyes.

"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

I like to play around with my guitar (notice I didn't say "play") :D It's autographed by Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, btw . . . I am also very much into bird watching, the highlight of my career a trip up the flank of Mt. Baker in Washington State - one of the group was a man of 60 or so, and he negotiated this demanding hike up hill and over dale with no trouble, pretty good considering he is blind. He missed quite the view but I don't think it mattered - he did it for the companionship.

I enjoy reading science fiction (is it mandatory?). As far as the author debate goes, well: John Brunner was years ahead of his time (Stand on Zanzibar is superb); Robert Silverberg has a knack for telling a swarthy tale (the Valentine Chronicles); Larry Niven is OK I guess but quantity doesn't make up for quality, Heinlein better but guilty of the same game; Arthur C a little pompous (and the originator of the game) although some of his shorter tales are more compelling, The Million (?) Faces of God springs to mind, or The Watchers; bringing us to Herbert - Dune is paramount. Show me another tale of such breadth and I'll, um, read it! LOTR doesn't count, it's not science fiction but a morality tale and my opinion (although perhaps well-known to others) is that it represents the struggle of England against the Reich - any takers?

I also think the world would be a little better if everyone went outside and didn't look at their e-mail for a year or so, but who am I kidding? :?

Cool ride, Shane - let's see a night pic!
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

My far too many hobbies.

Post by spiny »

My other hobbies is a large collection of cacti and succulents (propagating, saving the endangered species), orchids, bulbs, botany in general, gardening, conservation of plants, animals and environment, sportfishing (from flyfishing to big game), the great outdoors (mountains, forests, deserts, rainforests, snorkling on coralreefs), archaeology/anthropology, history, handguns, vines, cooking strange food, reptiles, travel to rainforests, volcanic activity, islands, mountains, glaciers, malacology (shells), languages, movies, music (wide spectre), books, my computer, and not least; fishes!
Of course I take photographies of all this! :shock: (you should see all those maps in my computer, and the back up cd's...)
Since my girlfriend are doing western riding, I'm more and more into horses as a good way of getting around in nature!

Fish focus; catfishes and unusual odd species (knife fish, puffers, etc), cich-bip-bip-lids, Rainforest fish, coldwater species (salmonids etc), coralreefs (I do not have any tank for this now), marine biology.
Future projects: desert toothcarps and relict rare populations that should be bred and saved, coralreef tanks, fish pond, Large Xingu tank with L-numbers and cichlids.
I'll make a homepage as well.

Due to this, I think political decitions have to be made internationally, to extend the day from 24 hours to 48, to have time for all this! :wink:

If not totally crazy (?), I'm at least on the brink of joining the ranks of the weird!And, I'm proud of it! :D
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Re: My far too many hobbies.

Post by Beersnob »

I have a large problem....WAY TOOO MANY HOBBIES!

First, I'm a Football (American) and Baseball nut! Even though I live in Hockeytown, Hockey and the Red Wings along with Basketball are to get me through the lull between football and baseball. I am an avid Detroit Lions and Tigers Fan! Yes, I will accept your pity!

Second, I collect stamps, comics, beer coasters, and beer pints (ok any beer glasses) and any other ber merchandise.

Third, I like to go to "Great Lake Lighthouses" for some reason the Ocean lighthouses seem lame (IMHO).

Fourth, I am on a personal mission to sample any and every beer on the planet.

Fifth, I hike, bicycle, backpack, and tent camp.

Sixth, I love reading fiction, fish, sports history, American History, and Beer History.

Seventh, I belong to the American Homebrewers Association (in particular FORD-Fraternal Order of Renaisance Draftsmen out of Dearborn, MI). Yes, I brew all-grain beers, honey meads, and have dabbled in wines. My current favorite brewery is the Stone Brewing Company with their "Arrogant Bastard Ale" as my current favorite beer.

Is anyone else a beer nut?

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Hobbies!!!!

Post by spiny »

Beersnob, you are not alone! You should visit the shop bierkonink in Amsterdam, The Netherlands; last time I visited (1997), they had 1400 sorts of beer, included banana beer from the pacific! I firstly read about it in Time Out Amsterdam, and maybe they have a website?
If you want to brew something really special, archaeologists have analyzed the dried content of the wooden/bark tray of the bronse age (maybe 500 b.c?) grave of "Egtved pigen" (a woman) in Denmark! They know how the brew was made! Kind of a meade/cranberry brew, sweetened with honey!
If I find that article how to brew it, I'll pm you all of it.
:cheers:

ps! I come the country of Mack, the northernmost brewery in the world! (That was todays comercial).
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
Sassy76
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Sassy76 »

Hmm my other hobbies, well mostly I like being outside in the summer time and working around the yard in the flower beds. I also enjoy riding my Yamaha Wolverine 4 x 4(Four Wheeler for those of you who don't know)! I also enjoy being on the internet and looking up different stuff. I also have a family of six to care for so that takes up most of my time!! I also enjoy washing and cleaning my newest addition my 1998 Camaro!!!

Beersnob
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Re: Hobbies!!!!

Post by Beersnob »

spiny wrote:Beersnob, you are not alone! You should visit the shop bierkonink in Amsterdam, The Netherlands; last time I visited (1997), they had 1400 sorts of beer, included banana beer from the pacific! I firstly read about it in Time Out Amsterdam, and maybe they have a website?
If you want to brew something really special, archaeologists have analyzed the dried content of the wooden/bark tray of the bronse age (maybe 500 b.c?) grave of "Egtved pigen" (a woman) in Denmark! They know how the brew was made! Kind of a meade/cranberry brew, sweetened with honey!
If I find that article how to brew it, I'll pm you all of it.
:cheers:

ps! I come the country of Mack, the northernmost brewery in the world! (That was todays comercial).
Hmmmmm MEAD! I'm making some this weekend coming up - Traditional and spiced (Methylglin).

I will state for the record that I like more hoppy-full bodied beers. I do need to be in the "mood" for fruity beers. But for the most part I just feel that life is too short to try every beer known to MAN! :shock:
Beersnob

Cory21
Location 1: NW Ontario, Canada

Post by Cory21 »

I don't have many hobbies myself.... mostly fish, reading.... school. I also mount butterflies and scorpions. Other than that, I can be quite a boring person! :lol:
Thank you,
Cory
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Oh, dear. Hobbies hobbies. :) I'll make mine quick.

1. Snakes. I breed corn snakes (albino orange and red Okeetee), am trying to get my ball pythons "in the mood," and eventually plan to breed my Keyan sand boas, and my mom's trio of Brazilian rainbow boas.

2. Leopard geckos. I also breed these little demons. :)

3. Volunteering. I volunteer (and work) at a local zoo, the Wildlife World Zoo, in the Small Mammal building. So, yes, I do have to change a lot of mouse cages, but I also get to play with the baby ocelots, clean out the baby tiger room, and handle a lot of awesome animals. Including seven pound African pouched rats.

4. Reading. Sci-fi and fantasy are favorites. Terry Pratchett is, without a doubt, THE MAN. Vonnegut also has his stuff together.

5. The opposite of reading, writing. :D Mostly fantasy, sci-fi, largely fiction. I've been published in The Traveller, mind's eye, and am a regular on-staff member of Echo Magazine.

6. Also am the leader/dictator/president of Compass, my college's gay-straight alliance. Getting headaches counts as a hobby, right? ;)
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Cory 21,

You catch live ...Scorpions? You are a brave soul! I wouldn't want to find one in my tent. In fact it could have the tent!

I think I bore people with my beer knowledge...

I know too much of why Domestic (Budweiser, etc..) lagers have little or no flavor and why The other beers taste sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD! :P
Beersnob

sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Well....
apart from keeping and breeding catfish;
Tanganyikan cichlids! I especially enjoy Tropheus and Triglachromis.

and other weirdo's such as Polypterids, knifefishes etc; but currently don't have anymore.

I like to sing -and fool around with a guitar- in a band; we've started one a few months ago; more fun than talent, but definitely having a good time.
i listen to music a LOT and I also collect much of it; if it ROCKS or has truly passion, and is made by real people on real instruments, I'll check it out.

As a result I still go to many concerts and festivals; wich is good fun, but unhealthy too....I'm the last person on earth who'd buy a coke at a Motorheadconcert, for example :twisted:

I like to read too, especially fantasy, but not everything; I'm pretty choosey! Robin Hobb, Tolkien, Robert Jordan (but only the first 6-7, the rest of Wheel of Time sucks!), JK Rowling (never too old for Harry Potter), David & Leigh Eddings, the first eight Elfquest books by Richard and Wendy Pini, Marion Zimmer Bradley (although that's not truly fantasy, more historical novels), Terry Pratchett (Discworld; wich absolutely rules).

Scifi too, if it's good; Philip K Dick,
all the writings of Larry niven
esp Ringworld and Footfall, Roger Zelasny, Frank Herbert, Tanith Lee etc.

And "old earth"stuff, like Auel's Earthchildren, and the impressive series about the first Native Americans by the O'Neil-Gear couple.

And Neil Stephenson, let's not forget Neil Stephenson :P :D

and critters!
Although I keep my critters at work (school) I really enjoy fooling around with my critters; African Giant Millipedes, Stick Insects, Axolotls, Giant Snails, Yabby's,(lobsters) and Pet Roaches, hundreds of em...
Yes, Barbie; Pet Roaches :twisted:
Last edited by sidguppy on 07 Feb 2004, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Valar Morghulis
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

If you like to read sci-fi, Alex, try reading Clive Ponting's A Green History of the World: The Environment and the Collapse of Great Civilizations. The development of Brabant is discussed at some length. I am halfway through the book, and can recommend it highly. Rather like a science fiction story of monsters rampaging across a planet in outer space, except that this is a scholarly and sober account of our own planet.

Dinyar
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

maybe I will, but don't hold your breath.....

Strange as it may seem, as a hobby I prefer to read "unreal suff" aka nonsense aka fantasy/sci-fi.

I'll keep up with current reality by tracking down loads of news through newspapers, books and the web, but if I have to read books on this too, I'll get homicidal, suicidal, depressive, sad and raving mad.
Knowing myself; probably all at the same time. Hence me reading tons of sci-fi and fantasy!

I can say 100% honest without any bull-manure; if I DIDN'T read that, but stuck to reality instead; I would have killed a lot of people or would have committed suicide long ago.

It's as important as oxygen; real life is messy, sh*tty, downright evil, depressing and chaotic enough as it is, so I'm perfectly happy to go to another place when reading my beloved books....
Valar Morghulis
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Hey folks, I've lurked around here long enough so I guess I should reply to something. Why not start here right?
I tend to fill my hours that aren't spent on fish stores or tank maintenance on anything related to cars mostly...like drag or autocross racing (very slowly), parts scavenging & trading, or offroading. Oldsmobiles & AMC products are my tools of choice for most of this, a ford truck hauls it all around and a volkswagen being the A-to-B device. (no silly hondas for me, thanks...hehe)
But like anyone involved with motor vehicles, I spend the vast majority of that time working on these and everyone else's piles!

I also collect a myriad of things with no collectible value, go fishing, hunting, bowling or go on roadtrips when I get the chance and often get inebriated in various ways. Background music always seems to accompany just about everything too..

And the rest...I loaf out on the computer of course.

Tyler
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Try some Richard Knaak - but avoid the computer game-based fantasy books (BAD)!

For the Baseball/mystery nuts out there you could try some Troy Soos - 1900's baseball with a murder mystery twist. HMMMM.....1 more week 'till Baseball starts!!!
Beersnob

Cory
Location 1: Bushmills,Ulster
Interests: Fishkeeping and flying radio aircraft

Hobbies

Post by Cory »

Mine are fishkeeping,fishing,flying a radio controled aircraft and running! :al: 8) :!:
The falling flower
I saw drift to the branch
Was a butterfly.

MORITAKE
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

Thought I'd have a pop at this one. Well, I've just reserected my passion for an old MG Midget, that I've had for 10 years in bits , hopefully have it finnished in April. Apart from that and fishkeeping I don't seem to have time for anything else as I bought an old house a year ago that needed completely renovating, (new ceilings, roofs etc). Lots of DIY and plasters!

rob
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:11)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

beside fishkeeping,i collect unopened beercans and bottles of every type ive ever tasted,( the last two years its been on hold since i only drink rum theese days :))
i also collect and build 1/24 and 1/25 scale american classic cars (about 70 thats been built or waiting to be)

music has always been important in my life, The Beatles, Ramones, Dead Kennedys and Slayer just to show the diffs in my music taste, as long as its not computermade ill buy it :)

i also play indoor fotball (soccer) and baseball

Mallemalle
Soup is good food!
turbokev
Location 1: New Hampshire
Interests: Auto racing, Slot cars, and Plecos

Post by turbokev »

I have a 1/32 scale slot car track and race with several other track owners in my area on a regular basis~

I also race my Miata in autocross and track events~

and I'm also in to model rocketry and gas powered remote control vehicles.

Basically I am a motorhead who is also into fish 8)
Kev Schofield
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

Besides my fish I am into woodworking and fishing. I make furniture but I also like to turn bowls on my wood lathe. Ice fishing is in full swing but isn't as much of a priority since I have 12 tanks to clean weekly.

Sidguppy: Try some of Terry Goodkind's books. He is a very good writer and I agree with Jordons books. The last few have been so long winded.

Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Besides fishkeeping,i like making and racing 1/16 gas powered RC vehicles,mainly cars.
Also i like to read Sci-fi and mystery books.
In the summer i like very much diving and feeding large fishes,some of which have become friends with me and during the summer months i dive and play with them.I also catch and keep hermit crabs as long as i am close to the sea and when my holidays are over i go where i caught them and release them.
In the winter i like to ski.

In addition i like playing football and reading articles about fishes in the internet.
CatBrat
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Japan
Location 2: ex. New Zealand
Interests: Fish, Fishing, sports, Taking photos of fish

Post by CatBrat »

As well as keeping my fish, I have heaps of other pets (ie a donkey, a dog, 3 cats, bee hives, 15 turtles and heaps more), I enjoy playing sports (rugby, cricket, ect), reading books/magazines and surfing the nets fish sites. I also do a lot of water sports. I go sea fishing with my dad most weekends off our boat and I also enjoy snorkling/swiming around.

Cheers, CatBrat.
catfish_dude
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: catfish, rugby, cricket

Post by catfish_dude »

Cricket and Rugby mostly
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings
bigward
Location 1: Hartlepool - U.K.
Interests: Anything Fishy ........

Post by bigward »

Rugby and Fly fishing :D
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

Birdwatching, and drawing. :)
I've tried to kill the pain,but only brought more(so much more) I lay dying, and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal I'm dying,praying,bleeding,and screaming...Am I too lost to be saved? Am I too lost? My God my Tourniquet return to Salvation, My God my Tourniquet return to me Salvation.

Return to “Speak Easy”