Chaca Chaca

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Perky
Location 1: Wales

Chaca Chaca

Post by Perky »

I don't know where to post this. I can get one and was wondering if it would be alright with a BGK, a Common Plec, 3 Clown Loaches, 3 Pictus, a Spiny Eel, 3 Silver Sharks and maybe a Batrachomoeus Trispinosus. It is a 55 gallon. All info needed please
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Chacas are best kept by themselves. They do not seem to like tankmates much, even if they are too big to be eaten.
That said, they are impressive predators that can eat fairly large fish relative to their body size (and therefore not to be trusted with tankmates).
More info here.
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Post by kdreymann »

Silurus wrote:Chacas are best kept by themselves. They do not seem to like tankmates much, even if they are too big to be eaten.
That said, they are impressive predators that can eat fairly large fish relative to their body size (and therefore not to be trusted with tankmates).
More info here.
And one more important hint, which I've found out in the meantime:
Other catfish e.g. Ancistrus, Otocinclus, Peckoltia and Glyptoperichthys like to chew at the Chaca's skin! My first Chaca died of this, the second could be saved early enough by seperating it from other cats!
Klaus
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

And my cousin once had a 6" Chaca that made a nice meal out of a 3" juvenile Gibby.

they don't hold for armoured fish!!
Valar Morghulis
Perky

Post by Perky »

So this is a species tank only fish.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

So this is a species tank only fish.
If there ever was one fish taylormade for the speciestank; it's Chaca spp

Their adult length hovers about 8" or so, but their sheer lack of activity makes them suitable, even for small tanks.
Big and weird enough to look impressive, lazy, docile and social enough to keep a few in a small tank.

One, two or even three adults would be quite comfortable in a 80x40x40cm, with some bogwood, floating plants and decent waterchanges.

Just add some guppies, mollies or baby convicts and the like; they'll be fine (the Chaca's :twisted: not the others :twisted: )
Valar Morghulis
Perky

Post by Perky »

What would the minimum tank size in lenght and gallons. My LFS has two and I would like to buy some but thought that I may not have room. They really are cool fish and would love to be the proud owner of a couple
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Post by kdreymann »

sidguppy wrote: If there ever was one fish taylormade for the speciestank; it's Chaca spp
Their adult length hovers about 8" or so, but their sheer lack of activity makes them suitable, even for small tanks.
Big and weird enough to look impressive, lazy, docile and social enough to keep a few in a small tank.
One, two or even three adults would be quite comfortable in a 80x40x40cm, with some bogwood, floating plants and decent waterchanges.
Just add some guppies, mollies or baby convicts and the like; they'll be fine (the Chaca's :twisted: not the others :twisted: )
Yes, Yes, Yes, you're so right!
Klaus
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What would the minimum tank size in lenght and gallons
I'd say something like a 30(US)-gallon tank (approx. 36" by 12" by 16") should house them comfortably. They actually don't need so much depth to the tank, but it's hard to find an off-the-shelf tank that is shallow.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

A 20 g long would be ample for two fully grown adults. With sub-adults, you could keep two in a 10 g. We kept a lone Chaca in a 10 g for three years and it did very well. A more sedentary fish would be hard to find. On the one hand, they ARE very interesting looking. On the other, after not seeing it move for a few years and doing large weekly water changes and live food purchases, we decided we'd had enough.

Klaus and I both found that Chaca manage to drop the tank pH considerably, so if you get them, make sure your tank is well buffered and do regular large water changes (50% weekly).

Dinyar

Return to “Asian Catfishes”