Breeding groups in small tanks

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bernt
Location 1: Norway

Breeding groups in small tanks

Post by bernt »

Is it possible to keep breeding groups of small-size plecos in 15-gallon tanks (60 litre)? By small plecos I mean species like L-204, L-46 or L-66 (even though it grows a little bigger)... I know many people keep breeding pairs in such small tanks, but is it possible with groups? I?m thinking of buying a group of L-204 from my LFS, and keep them by themselves in a 15-gallon tank.

Bernt
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Post by Easy »

I think u'll have a better chance of breeding a certain species if you have more than a pair in a tank...but since it's in a 15g tank, you should limit their number to abt 5 individuals per tank...probably 2 males and 3 females.

I think it'll be more difficult if you have only one male and one female in a tank.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I agree with Easy that your chances are probably better with more than just one pair. However, I think that 60 liters is almost certainly too small for even ONE mature L204 (Flash Panaqolus), let alone a colony of them. They grow to about 20 cm, and as a Panaqolus species, generate a lot of wood waste. Even with a species like H. zebra which stays small, your chances of breeding success would be much better in a tank twice that size (120 l).

Finally, FWIW, AFAIK Flash Panaqolus have yet to be bred in the aquarium, so unless you are an old hand at this, you may prefer to start your breeding experiments with a different species.

Dinyar
zebra_pl*co
Location 1: Surrey, UK
Interests: catfish - especially L numbers

Post by zebra_pl*co »

i have 4 zebra's in a 15 gallon breeding tank - they hav not started breeding yet, but i think this is as the tank is a bit too small, other problem with plec only tanks is they dont eat very well when on their own.

i have had to introduce a few pygmy cory's in there to help with the feeding, now they are eating fine, and the nitrate and nitrite level is at zero once again !!
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
A German guy managed to breed his Hypancistrus sp L28, had a trio of them in a 15 Gal and he also had a pair of a Panaqolus sp or Peckoltia sp along with them.
all the fish were egal or just a bit under 10cm/4inches long.

15 Gallon could be fine for species that won't grow over 10cm/4inches
for one around 15cm/6in I wold go with a 25gal tank as for a minimum!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
bernt
Location 1: Norway

Post by bernt »

I just found out that the L-204 can grow pretty big, so a 15-gallon tank will be too small. Maybe I have to read more to find out what species I can have, because I really want to set up a pleco tank, but I don?t have enough space to something that is bigger than 15 gallon. Any suggestions?
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

I would go with some kind of peckoltia, or small Hypancistrus
I love L-numbers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”