"Stone cat"

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
muridae
Location 1: Philadelphia, PA

"Stone cat"

Post by muridae »

Okay, id'ing this fish may be impossible, or may be very easy. I stopped at PetsMart today and my husband found a tank of teeny tiny itty bitty really very little -- are you getting the picture? -- cat fish. They were marked "stone cats" and were $1.49 each. They didn't know the latinate name, but we bought four anyway because they were small and inexpensive.

I took some pictures, but the fish are only 1/2" long at the most, so... don't know that they'll help. They almost look like little Liosomadoras morrowi. I neglected to ask if the fish were wc, duh, that would have helped. Whatever they are, they aren't stonecats.

Here is the only one of the pictures that turned out even remotely visible. Like I said, they are very small.

http://www.muridae.org/fish/cats/hara_j ... CF0728.jpg

Anything that looks like that bred for the aquarium trade, or captured and imported at such small sizes?

If they are just too little to id, I'll just have to wait for them to grow bigger. :)
Last edited by muridae on 19 Feb 2004, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

These are either or some kind of Erethistes.
Depending on what exactly they are, they may never get bigger.
muridae

Post by muridae »

Silurus, do you know everything about catfish? :D Don't think I've asked a single question yet that you have not been able to answer.

Can't find too much good information on this species, other than that they stay pretty small and like cooler water temps. I guess I will set up their own species tank, rather than moving them in with my larger fish. Any advice anyone can add to that?

I like them, they're really neat. Perhaps I will get a few more and see if they can be convinced to spawn.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Have a word with medaka about them.

Jools
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I have had them many years ago.
beware; they're fun to have, but they can behave like a tiny Banjo cat; just laying around in the leaflitter, playing dead.

Wich is not a problem, until you start to vacuum or root around the tank with your bare hands. Those impressive pectoral spines can give a nasty sting!
prying one out of your hand or finger is NOT to be recommended :roll:
Valar Morghulis
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Any advice anyone can add to that?
They like a sandy bottom, and provide some vegetation that they can hide in.
muridae

Post by muridae »

So far they don't do anything, just sit on the bottom of the quarantine tank looking small and spiky. Haven't eaten anything yet, either, but they haven't settled in so that's not surprising. What size tank should I use for housing ten of them? Would a ten or twenty gallon be suitable?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

A ten-gallon tank would be fine, as they don't grow very large and swim much. A twenty-gallon tank is even better, as it gives you a reason to buy more fish. ;)
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I kept a few of these years ago when I first got into fish keeping. Be careful when you're vacuuming the substrate, as they literally will just play dead, til they're caught in the suction of the siphon, and MAN are the spiny little buggers hard to get out of a piece of hose! I had a heck of a time cutting the hose enough to get him out without poking him or myself. He did live through it though, thank goodness!

Barbie

Return to “What is my catfish?”