Sick Clown Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Chenell
Location 1: Denver, CO

Sick Clown Pleco

Post by Chenell »

My Clown Pleco seems to be sick. I noticed today that his eyes are extremely dialated. They do not look like what they usually do... there is usually only a little bit of black in his pie shaped eyes. I also cleaned the tank a little bit ago and he didn't move around like he usually does. He has been in the same spot now for hours. Otherwise, he looks completely normal.

Does anyone have any ideas? All the other fish seem healthy, except for my swordtail who is having his tail munched on by one of the other fish.

Tank specs:

10 gal w/ power filter no live plants.

Fish: 1 dwarf gourami, 2 diamond tetras, 1 swordtail, 2 cory cats, 1 clown pleco.

Change 2 gals of water weekly w/ gravel vaccum.

The tank has been up and running for probably over a year. I lost a betta and he killed all but one fish so I had to start over.

Water temp: 78 degrees
pH: 6.8 - 7.0
GH: 2
KH: 10
Ammonia: less than .5
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chenell
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

The water parameters you outlined would be the readings you'd have in an uncycled aquarium. The ammonia is very toxic to your fish. Do a 25% water change, to lower the levels, and cut back on your feeding drastically for the next month or so. You've managed to kill the bacteria in your filter that digests the waste your fish put off. Without a supplement of that bacteria from an existing tank, or the additive BioSpira (NO other cycling products do anything but waste your money, in my experience), you are literally killing them with kindness when you feed more than they can eat in about 30 seconds, every other day, for that break in period. I can recommend some articles on it, if you'd like.

Barbie
Dude123
Location 1: Canada
Interests: Fish

Post by Dude123 »

Cut back on the feeding and do larger water changes when needed. Also you tank sounds a little overstocked. Have you checked the full grown size on you fish?
-The Fish Man
Chenell
Location 1: Denver, CO

Post by Chenell »

The tank was cycled... I just did a partial change of the filter media and I think that is what threw it out of wack.

Anyway, I think he is dead now but I am not sure. This morning he looked dead, I scooped him out of the tank and put him in a bag to freeze him so maybe I could bring him to the store I got him at and see if they could tell anything wrong with him. While he was in the bag he started twitching a bit, so I put him back in the tank. He looked pretty dead... but all of a sudden he started breathing again after like 5 minutes.. it was wierd.

I have been feeding him algae pellets weekly, but the other fish seem to get to them before he does. He did look a bit thin. I hope he didn't starve to death.. there was a bit of algae growing in the tank.

Anyway, I am at work now and can't check on him, I am pretty sure he is probably dead by now. It's just a bummer cause he cost me $10... by far the most expensive fish I've ever bought.

Thanks for your help.. even though it was a bit too late to save my clown plecto.

Chenell

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”