Catching fish!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Thomas W
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Norway
Location 2: Norway
Interests: Loricariidae

Catching fish!

Post by Thomas W »

Which country in south America can i catch Loricariidae? I have heard that in Brazil and Venezuela it is pretty illegal to catch fish.

Best regard:Thomas wiborg
Thomas Wiborg
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There are fishing tours in Peru.
Thomas W

Post by Thomas W »

cant i just get an exportlisence and cathch fish in columbia?

BR Thomas W
Thomas Wiborg
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

It's Colombia, and getting that license isn't the only problem. According to Shane, the number one cause of death there is still bullets. Their government doesn't work like ours. Good luck!

Barbie
Thomas W

Post by Thomas W »

Which country can I then fish loricariidae without beeing shoot? :D
Best regards: Thomas Wiborg
Thomas Wiborg
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Thomas W wrote:Which country can I then fish loricariidae without beeing shoot? :D
Best regards: Thomas Wiborg
Florida, Thailand, Hawaii....... :lol:
Thomas W

Post by Thomas W »

Well i have collected fish in Thailand so next trip goes to Peru i think!

BR: Thomas Wiborg
Thomas Wiborg
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Thomas,
Maybe you should do a little research before buying a plane ticket. This is from the U.S. State Department web page.
SAFETY AND SECURITY: The security situation in Colombia is volatile. Violence by narcotraffickers, terrorist groups, and other criminal elements is widespread and increasing in certain areas. Travel by road outside the major cities is especially dangerous because of terrorist and organized criminal activity in rural areas.

Some terrorist groups have targeted foreigners, multinational companies and other foreign interests, and this pattern is expected to continue in the future. Random bombings have occurred in and around major urban areas, including attacks on civilian targets. A bombing at an exclusive social club in Bogotá on February 7, 2003, left 36 dead and 160 injured. The FARC directly targeted U.S. citizens in a terrorist attack on November 15, 2003 in an upscale entertainment area; the attack left one person dead and injured 73, including four U.S. citizens. Terrorist groups have also targeted public facilities and modes of transportation. While the Government of Colombia has instituted increased security measures around the tourist area in the colonial, walled part of Cartagena frequented by cruise line passengers, U.S. citizens and interests in Cartagena have been specifically identified as viable targets in the past.

Kidnapping for ransom occurs more often in Colombia than in any other country in the world, and affects all parts of the country, especially rural areas. Since the year 2000, 27 American citizens, mostly dual nationals, were reported kidnapped. Of these, their captors released most after a ransom was paid. Colombian authorities rescued one. American kidnap or murder victims have included journalists, missionaries, scientists, human rights workers and businesspeople, as well as persons on tourism or family visits, and even small children. No one can be considered immune on the basis of occupation, nationality, or any other factor. Because of widespread terrorist activity and U.S. policy that opposes concessions to terrorists, the U.S. Government can provide only limited assistance in these cases. Under Colombian law, those who fail to coordinate their efforts to resolve kidnapping cases with the Office of the Anti-Kidnapping Director (Ministerio de Defensa/Programa Para la Defensa de la Libertad Personal) could face criminal prosecution.

CRIME: Colombia is one of the most dangerous countries in the world. Based on Colombian government statistics, Colombia's 2002 per capita murder rate of 66 murders per 100,000 inhabitants was almost eleven times higher than that of the United States. While narcotics and guerrilla-related violence account for part of this, common criminals are responsible for an estimated 75 percent of the reported murders.
I would also suggest you pick up a copy of Pelton's "The World's Most Dangerous Places." Colombia rates a full five stars which puts us ahead of Iraq and Afghanistan. Pelton's explaination for the problem, "To date, there isn't a known vaccine for a bullet in the head."

What really cracked me up was that Pelton came down here last year to do research for his book. He was only in the country a short time before he was kidnapped. Luckily he was kidnapped by paramilitaries and not guerrillas and was eventually released.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
micahgee
I've donated: $5.00!
Location 1: newton, MA (suburb of Boston)

Post by micahgee »

hahaha thats pretty funny

actually my math professor is from Colombia, and he talks about his friends being kidnapped and him wanting a better life where he wasnt afraid to do anything that could be interpreted as anti-government or anything like that...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

i feel bad for the guy...
Thomas W

Post by Thomas W »

Well I think I beter buy a ticket to Peru instead :D

Thank you for the good information Shane.

Best Regards: Thomas Wiborg
Thomas Wiborg
Marshel
Location 1: Guangzhou, P.R.China
Interests: Corydoras and other catfishes

Post by Marshel »

Really terrible place. But how about your situation-Shane?

I learned that the local fisherman are friendly to foreigners.:)
Dr.UltraScarlet
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: molecular biology, spirituality and women

Hey

Post by Dr.UltraScarlet »

We are a bunch of fish fanatics going to Brazil and amazonas and there is plenty of L-species and not too much trouble. Since you are from Norway you can hook up with us, the tour is cheap compared to other amazonas tour and the area we go to is heaven on earth noone has caught aquarium fish is that(big) region because its a nature reserve, the price is 18000 Dkr + pocket money. For that you get everything besides what you drink of softdrinks and use in the city´s. Travelling to the heaven takes two days on river boat each way(from Manaus). We have also planned some extra days( abit extra cost) in Manaus before going out to fish and Rio afterwards. In Manaus we have arranged to visit several fishexporters imagine what you can find a place like that(bring extra pockey money:)). If you are a nice guy and interested contact me, on msn email or something I have several pictures from the last trip to show.

Kind regards

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”