Cats from Japanese site

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Mika
Location 1: Helsinki,Finland

Cats from Japanese site

Post by Mika »

Well i wish i was a catfish
swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea (Muddy Waters, Catfish blues)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Lots of nice fish, but some of the prices are insane! I could buy a small river in India full of cool fish for the price of one fish from this list!

Dinyar
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

but some of the prices are insane!
Is it any wonder that they get all the good stuff?
Dinyar
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

At those prices, it's no longer cool. Cool is finding hidden gems at throwaway prices, not buying jewels from Cartier.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Dinyar,
Can you post a few of the prices in dollars?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Shane,
$1.00 == ¥106.5

Taking the last two digits off of any of the prices should be a pretty accurate estimate.

Rusty
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Rusty, I do not even see numbers, just a bunch of symbols. I guess I might see them if I downloaded Japanese script (?), but that would be a long download on a slow modum for a language I do not speak.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
muridae
Location 1: Philadelphia, PA

Post by muridae »

They're sold out of Silurus glanis. What I wanna know is, who are all these Japanese people who are buying that fish? It's not exactly a nation that's known for having large houses with lots of space for big tanks...

:lol:

Shane, the prices range from a few dollars to several thousand dollars, with most fish seeming to be in the $250 - $1000 range.
Dinyar

Post by Dinyar »

Shane wrote:Rusty, I do not even see numbers, just a bunch of symbols. I guess I might see them if I downloaded Japanese script (?), but that would be a long download on a slow modum for a language I do not speak.
-Shane
Shane, A bit off-topic I know, but if you're using Win 2000 or later, Japanese (and other language) fonts should be on your Windows CD. -Dinyar
Sfamnun
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sweden
Interests: Bagrids, Pimelodids, Clariids and such.

Post by Sfamnun »

muridae wrote:They're sold out of Silurus glanis. What I wanna know is, who are all these Japanese people who are buying that fish? It's not exactly a nation that's known for having large houses with lots of space for big tanks...
Don't forget where Koi come from.
and Koi = ponds.

And i assume if they aren't that popular, then they wouldn't have too many of them to begin with, so it would be easier for them to be sold out.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

muridae wrote:
It's not exactly a nation that's known for having large houses with lots of space for big tanks...
Or even central heating/AC (not that the Silurus glanius cares, it can take the cold).

I have many friends in Japan, but never quite understood why the Giant Pims (and other giant fishes) are so popular there.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

but never quite understood why the Giant Pims (and other giant fishes) are so popular there
Must be that Namazu (earthquake fish) thing. ;)
micahgee
I've donated: $5.00!
Location 1: newton, MA (suburb of Boston)

Post by micahgee »

Japanese like big fish cuz they are such small people :lol: :lol: haha just kidding!

Wait a second, on the very bottom of the list, that would be a clown loach if im not mistaken...and loaches sure aint catfish...

I have to admit those are some really REALLY wierd looking catfish...but for almost $300 not including shipping, i could get a 90 w/ filter and everything....and a gigantic hideously ugly catfish doesnt float my boat
Dinyar

Post by Dinyar »

Please leave your racial stereotypes at home, even if you're just kidding.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

http://homepage3.nifty.com/aquashop-tru ... africa.htm is very intersting, wonder if this is part of the parentage of the Syno sp(5) - AKA zebrinus syno.

Jools
micahgee

Post by micahgee »

i'm really sorry, i didnt mean to offend anyone
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Post by spiny »

In Japan, I think it is with fish people, like it is with cacti people, of which I know Japan quite well from several web sites / groups. You rarely see people give so much effort into their hobby, with so excellent results.

Prices on the same species can vary enormously; there are often special markings or colorations on the fish or plant, that really make the price rise astronomically.

There are growers, or masters, who might be experts on special species or genera. It isnt necessarily a wider all round angle, like other people are more used to, but sometimes to get incredible results in that single type of fish / plant etc.

Shane; downloading japanese text isnt a big download; I have done it on several connections. You will see a new world open up on japanese web sites! I guarantee!
You wont understand the text, but just click away! The latin name are usually there, even if japanese names are often used.
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
micahgee

Post by micahgee »

If you want to talk about Japans acheviements in JUST the field of fishkeeping, Takashi Amano has become a household name for his planted aquariums. He has his algae eating shrimp named after him "the Amano shrimp" (cardinia japonica) and his use of the Oto cat made it into a popular fish.

Honestly I meant no disrespect to the Japanese people in my earlier post, I have great respect for Japan, its cultural heritage and its people. For example my car is Japanese (Nissan) and Japanese cars are far better made than American cars..., my computer is Japanese (Sony), hell even my fish food is Japanese (Hikari).

Once again i appologize for my immature post.

Return to “What is my catfish?”