Lies, Lies and More Lies- Norte Energia

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4438.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Lies, Lies and More Lies- Norte Energia

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I was reading an online article by Fabiano Maisonnave in the English language version of Folha de S.Paulo from Sep.28.2018 entitled "Nearing Completion, Belo Monte Dam Receives Criticisms From All Sides Changes in the Xingu river flow bring issues to wildlife and forces the local communities to change their way of life"
https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internaci ... ides.shtml

This bit really ticked me off:
One of the most feared consequences is the extinction of indigenous fishes to Volta Grande, a habitat different from the rest of the Xingu basin because of its group of rocks and rip currents.

In a recent letter to Folha, Norte Energia's superintendent for social, environmental and indigenous affairs admitted that research on the changes at Volta do Rio Grande "are inconclusive" but blamed the wane of zebra pleco fishes to animal traffickers.
About the last people who I would trust to have a clue or to tell the truth on this topic would be the people who built the dam. They have lied, connived and raped the land and the river from day one.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Lies, Lies and More Lies- Norte Energia

Post by Bas Pels »

They are only singing for their local audience, and in Brasil it is very easy to blame animal travicers.

Point is, with parrots, or monkeys, this could very well be the case. With far less expensive fishes, noone would take the time to collect the last 10 % - and this relict population would be enough to restore the original population, if the rest was undisturbed.

Building a dam, however, turns a river into a pond. No species is expected to survive that.
cats have whiskers
be4morgan
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA
Interests: Fish and Dog

Post by be4morgan »

This is so sad, fishes deserve to live but then again mankind decides to destroy their habitat. They should have done something before the project has begun.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

We didn't know the fish existed when the dam project started (1975).

Jools
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4438.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I don't know how accurate Wiki is, but here is what they say on the topic:
Plans for the dam began in 1975 but were soon shelved due to controversy; they were later revitalized in the late 1990s. In the 2000s, the dam was redesigned, but faced renewed controversy and controversial impact assessments were carried out. On 26 August 2010, a contract was signed with Norte Energia to construct the dam once the Brazilian Institute of Environment and Renewable Natural Resources (IBAMA) had issued an installation license. A partial installation license was granted on 26 January 2011 and a full license to construct the dam was issued on 1 June 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belo_Monte_Dam

I would say that the claim the dam started in 1975 is a bit specious. That 20+ year gap between when somebody had an idea and when that idea was acted upon would indicate that it was never really serious in the 70s. Brazil needed that two + decades to get its corruption to a level where it could actually start harming the planet effectively. (My personal take on things.)

I am no genius but even I can figure out that the best way to avoid being guilty of driving any species to extinction is the ability to deny that species exists. And to make that stick, make sure no studies are done that might indicate anything to the contrary.

Species exist before they are actually described. The zebra was described in 1991, how many years before that were the people who ply the Big Bend aware of its existence?

I would note the following example in this respect:
REVIEW OF THE GEOGRAPHIC DISTRIBUTION OF FISH FAUNA
OF THE XINGU RIVER BASIN, BRAZIL
Mauricio Camargo, Tommaso Giarrizzo & Victoria Isaac
Laboratório de Biologia Pesqueira e Manejo de Recursos Aquáticos, Universidade Federal do Pará,
Belém, Brazil

Abstract. This study is a comprehensive review of fish fauna data for the Xingu River system. Information was compiled from seven field surveys (conducted between 2001 and 2002), bibliographic references, and museum collection records. To provide data on the spatial distribution of fish species, the river basin was divided into six areas according to geographical and hydrological characteristics. Fish species from 14 orders and 47 families were recorded; the most diverse orders were Characiformes (210 species), Siluriformes (146 species), Perciformes (62 species) and Gimnotiformes (20 species). Of the 467 species identified, 69 were common to the whole river basin. Based on these results, two priority conservation areas were identified: 1) headwater rivers, which are characterized by a diverse range of small characid and cichlid species and intense anthropogenic disturbance, and 2) middle section of the Xingu, from its confluence with the Irirí River to its downstream waterfalls near Belomonte village. This region is characterized by a high diversity of Cichlidae, particularly Teleocichla, Anostomidae and Loricariidae families. Conserving these areas will help to maintain hydrological connectivity of the Xingu River system. Accepted 17 October 2004.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... CBcrZyhdyA

I guess the folks in power in the Brazilian government and the folks at Norte Energia had not yet learned to read at that time. Or maybe it was they just could not see though all the piles of money they imagined would be coming their way?

Consider the long term history of the earth and all the species that have ever lived. Species cease to exist, but the planet still remains. The human species is no exception in this respect.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

It's more style of government and our understanding of the world, what I picked up generally while in Brazil is that the military dictatorship of the 70's and early 80's were all for the dams (the US built over 18,000 dams in the sixties, some of them big) but scaled back in the 1980s. I would say it's more about the political mix in Brazil than anything else and they were 20-30 years behind countries like the US (or the UK, who also built dams in the tropics). Would go for 1984 for folks knowing about the zebra. I first saw a picture of one about 1987 and saw my first live one in 1991.

Knowing about the zebra is an aside I'd suggest, no one working on the dam plans (either in the 70's or their later redesigns) would fail to understand there would be a huge impact on the river. But it was the impact on the people that got more attention (the Avatar movie and all that) politically - still didn't really matter as we all know.

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Speak Easy”