Embryology and early ontogenesis of the threatened menoda catfish, Hemibagrus menoda (Hamilton, 1822)

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Horlack
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: France
Location 2: France

Embryology and early ontogenesis of the threatened menoda catfish, Hemibagrus menoda (Hamilton, 1822)

Post by Horlack »

Received: 25-07-2018
Accepted: 30-08-2018
International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 2018; 6(5): 225-230
www.fisheriesjournal.com

URL : https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328281024
Abstract wrote:Knowledge of the early life stages of fishes portrays the morphological changes they undergo during embryogenesis and early ontogenesis which aids in their culture and preservation. This study investigated the embryonic and larval development of the menoda catfish, Hemibagrus menoda from fertilization to post-hatching. The ovulated eggs were placed in convex slides and the embryonic and larval developmental stages studied under the microscope. Unfertilized eggs were sticky, mean egg diameter increased from 0.8 ± 0.00 mm to 1.10 ± 0.01 mm after fertilization. Cleavage stage occurred within 2. 50 hr and hatching occurred at 19.30 hr after fertilization at 24.1 0C water temperature. Newly hatched larvae were curved, laterally compressed with the body gradually tapering towards the tail and measured 3.0 ± 0.02 mm. The egg yolk became completely absorbed within 68 hours at mean length of 6.5 ± 0.05 mm. Findings from this study might aid in the development of appropriate culture program for this species hence preventing its extinction.
Keywords: Hemibagrus menoda; embryonic development; early ontogenesis; conservation

=> https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... es_id=2028

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”