S Barbatus Egg Issue

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MMurray
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 11 (i:0, p:507)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 7
Location 1: USA - Massachusetts
Location 2: USA

S Barbatus Egg Issue

Post by MMurray »

My Barbatus are finally spawning with consistency. The issue is after I put them in an egg tumbler they fungus. Is anyone aware if the eggs of this species are light sensitive similar to some killifish? My experience with keeping fish in general is telling me that my pH is currently too high for them (approx. 7.2) however I have spawned other "soft water" species at higher pH contrary to other's beliefs. TDS is probably around 100-200, 72F, 4/5 M - 1/2 F (1 unknown - 6 in total), lights are on for about 8 hours a day. I have read all of the breeding reports and I know they like it soft and cool but I just wanted to eliminate another possibly before lower the pH. I have not had a chance to harvest/raise the eggs in complete darkness yet.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: S Barbatus Egg Issue

Post by Bas Pels »

You do realize S barbatus inhabits fast moving current? Perhaps the eggs need a lot of oxygen in the water or so
cats have whiskers
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Re: S Barbatus Egg Issue

Post by fishnut2 »

My Barbatus would cluster spawn. Sometimes 4 layers thick. Since all of the eggs were in a cluster, fungus would spread quickly. Light causes fungus with eggs...so adding some methylene blue improved my sucess rate. As for soft water hatching...I believe the eggs are sensitive to TDS as well. When it was too high, the eggs would kind of...turn to jelly...and just disintegrate. It's my opinion that the eggs needed a lower TDS to dissolve the cell wall when hatching.

Both things should improve your hatch rate...and are easy to fix. I hope this helps! It is just my opinion...but that's what worked for me.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”