Too much activity for plecos?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
shamgar1
Location 1: Texas

Too much activity for plecos?

Post by shamgar1 »

I have a 105 gal. tank with a width of 48 inches and depth of 18 inches. I have a Bristlenose pleco that is aprox. 3 1/2 inches and a clown pleco that is approx. 1 1/2 inches. I also have 3 corys and 6 discus. I have seen another cory that I would like to get, but am afraid the corys might be too active for the plecos to ever come out of their cave. I had a few clown loaches once that seemed so active that the plecos never came out even to eat and I lost the plecos. Don't want to make same mistake.
Thanks,
Shamgar
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I think its fine to have the plecos and cories together. Cories are tame enough not to do anything funny to your plecos!
biomechmonster
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Chicago, IL

Post by biomechmonster »

I agree plus cories like to live in schools, so your cories will be happier if you get more.
henkychif
Location 1: Milton, NY

Post by henkychif »

The cories I have are gregarious but respectful. They will swim up to my Snowball Pl*co but turn away as soon as they sense that they're too close. I agree with biomech - it is delightful to watch cories as they scurry around in groups of two, three, or more. Botias, on the other hand, can get aggressive, and must be pretty alien to a pl*co, being from Asia. I know the fish don't care, but I like to keep South American species and Asian species in separate tanks - just a personal preference.
shamgar1
Location 1: Texas

Post by shamgar1 »

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I went ahead and bought the other cory. I agree with you henky, for me it just seems they do better in the tank if they are from the same area. Everyone seems to be doing fine. I am much happier with plecos and cories in the tank. They are some of my favorites and go great with my discus.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”