my first Gibby

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
StiffMeister
Location 1: North of the Netherlands
Interests: duh....

my first Gibby

Post by StiffMeister »

Well, ive been looking around and reading a lot about catfish lately and after some ideas about fish for my tank i finally started populating my aquarium. the first fish is a small gibby. its around 6 cm now and looks great. it has a very good color sceme and im really happy with it. now ill have to look for some suitable species that also look very great!

edit--

the color of the animal has changed a bit. its not as striking, lighter as it was when i bought it. is this because of the stress from a new tank??
StiffMeister

Re: my first Gibby

Post by StiffMeister »

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ive just ordered the rest of my fish.
- 1 royal pleco
- 1 vampire pleco
- 3 Pimelodus pictus

the only problem with all this fish together might be that the ecosystem in my tank gets fecked up!
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

the ecosystem in my tank gets fecked up!
Do you think this is a proper description of what could happen? Maybe next time you chose different words...
cheers
Christian
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

whats wrong with this word?

how can the change of color be explained?? its still lighter on some places of its body. what can this be??
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

lots of plecos change color with their environment. Is it close to the same shade or color as the substrate it is on? I dont have any experience with Gibbis but I do have a common pleco, he changes color all the time from nearly black to a light brown, its absolutely amazing :)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Yaaay, you are getting three pictus! They are absolutely cool fish. When I get a bigger tank I would love to keep them again. :) (Mine died, hence my signature.) I, too, have a common pleco that changes color depending on his temperment. Lovely choice of fish!
Line up!
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

thx!! hope they will all live very happely together.think i can/need to add a few cory's for some cleaning?? or will the pleco's do the job?

Here is a pic of my gibby. its not very good quality, but my cam is half broken. see the dark and light colors... btw, hes eating here. he often lays in this corner while it is quite lighted there.

and a pic of the whole tank as it is after 2 weeks. (it looks a bit strange cuz of all the lights...)

Fiskars the Whiskers
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Oh, I love your tank! It's so pretty! Any fish would love to live in there. *L* Your gibby is darling! How big will it get?
Line up!
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

in this tank, i hope around 20-25 cm. but next year ill get a bigger tank so then he can become the monster he is meant to be... :D
Meganfitz
Location 1: Oregon

Post by Meganfitz »

Nice tank! I too, have plecos that change color, whether it be mood, camoflage, etc. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as he's eating.
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

well, eating he is... but he is mostly eating during day?!? as this is my first cat ever, i give him food when the lights are out ( thought they are night active). but when i wake up it is still lying there and after i while he starts eating...

-edit-
last night he did eat during night so now i give him a 2 quarters algae wafer ( tablet with diameter 1,5 cm) a day. im really exited by the way he acts. he takes the quarter to his corner ( the place on the pic) and starts eating there. really cool!!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I take it you are aware of the plant eating abilitys of the gibby and the royal.

plus as the tank is only two weeks old, i would recommend you have a few test kits on hand if you are introducing these fish all in one go.
tiffnseve
Location 1: MINNEAPOLIS MN

Post by tiffnseve »

My Gibby also did the lighter thing when I first got him/her. After a while he/she settled in and has now gone back to his normal tones. He/she has also doubled in size since then. I just added in another gibby and he/she is going through the same thing. My first gibby now comes out and feeds during the day. His favorites are shrimp pellets and algae flakes. I love how they look like a mess of flailing sails as they swim through the tank.
tiff
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

yeah, mine is just a sneaky bastard! he turns on his best colors as the lights go out! in the dark is very very beatiful... so hes obviously camouflaging when the lights are on. must be something with the plant hes lying under. and yes, im aware of his eating capabilities. ill see what survives... people i know with a gibby have a very beatifully planted tank. and the beast is quite big...
ill put the new fish in a Q.tank first. and ill buy me a few cory's this week. to disturbe the natural ecosystem in smaller steps.
Fiskars the Whiskers

What kind of cories are you planning on getting?
Line up!
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

well, it depends a bit on what the store has.they usally have around 10 species in stock... im planning on C. arcuatus and C. schwartzi or sterbai. i like these species for their colors. the first has a very nice basic color, more like a bit of pink/orange ( the ones in store at least) but that could also be a C. nattereri?!?
StiffMeister

Post by StiffMeister »

alright. change of plans. no cory's in my tank. been looking at them quite long today and i just dont find them any fun! they are ugly!!

so back to the gibby, i wanna vary a bit with food. i now give him algue wafers and tetra tabimin. he preferes the first tho. i wanna give him a bit of living or frozen stuff. what is best for such a small fella? i know larger fish can eat lots, but as he is soo small, i must think of something good...
tiffnseve
Location 1: MINNEAPOLIS MN

Post by tiffnseve »

I have chunks of natural slate in my tank. (it is actually untreated slate cut into tiles for tiling floors, I just broke it up into small odd sheets) My gibby's both spend most of their time when not eating staying on the slate. They blend into a little bit and its not smooth enough for them to slide on. I think "Salty" my bigger one took at least 2 weeks to get his color back and about two months to adjust to eating with the lights on. He likes to tease and chase golsfish.
tiff

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”