Aquarium Stocking Level

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cowboyish1
Location 1: Ventura Co, California
Location 2: USA

Aquarium Stocking Level

Post by cowboyish1 »

Hello all. First post. I love the corydoras. My favorite is the Corydoras Similis. I currently own just a small 12 gallon tank, an Eclipse System 12 with a separate Nitrate Filter. The filtration in the tank is quite nice, and it does provide a bit of a current. The tank is planted and has several little "cave" hideouts. I do regular/weekly water changes (1-2 gallons). I currently have 6 c. similis in this tank. I'm told that it would perfectly acceptable to add 6 Celestial Pearl Danios or 6 c. hastatus. The aqadvisor website agrees. I am skeptical, though. While I would like to add some mid-level interest to the tank, the health of my current shoal is of utmost importance to me. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.
littletoot2016
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Santa Clara,Ca. USA
Location 2: Santa Clara, Ca. USA
Interests: keeping fish. and fishing (killing fish) though sometimes I kill both.

Re: Aquarium Stocking Level

Post by littletoot2016 »

I would increase the water changes to 4 to 5 gallons once a week. 6 corys is enough cats, maybe add a BN pleco for algae control. The 6 Danios would be good, and 6 of the hardier tetras for mid water. Have fun, Harry
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:9)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Welcome to planetcatfish cowboyish1. Personally, if I were looking for more motion, in addition to CPD's (Danio margaritatus) I would think: possibly whiteclouds (Tanichthys albonubes) micro rasbora (genus Boraras), ember tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), red phantom tetra (Hyphessobrycon sweglisi), neon tetra (Paracheriodon innesi), yes (C. hastatus or pygmaeus), threadfin ranbows (iriantherina werneri) or Pseudomugil ranbows. If I'm looking for more slow motion I would consider one of the sparkeling gouramis (Trichopsis sp.), maybe a betta, the mini cat (Hylobragrus sp.). I will let someone else chime in about dwarf cichlids as I don't have a lot of experience with mixing them and Cories, some challenges there.

After 1 month quarantine (very very important for every fish you ever buy) in another 10g, I would drip acclimate, then add. After that increase your water changes as littletoot2016 suggest. Do your research! my 2¢ ... oh and did I say Welcome!
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

CPDs would be good, or perhaps some red cherry shrimp, or green neon tetras. I've kept all of these with various types of corydoras. I don't think the additional bioload is significant enough to be a problem.
cowboyish1
Location 1: Ventura Co, California
Location 2: USA

Post by cowboyish1 »

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”