L018 or L177?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
KSquared
My cats species list: 11 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
Location 1: US Colorado
Location 2: Littleton

L018 or L177?

Post by KSquared »

If anyone could please tell me I would appreciate it. I'm saying L177 as the spots look considerably bigger but I'm not sure if that's the only deciding factor. And, if you would, please tell me how you came to whatever conclusion. Also, let me know if you need any additional shots. I have quite a few.
DSC_2566 (2).JPG
Thanks
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: L018 or L177?

Post by Acanthicus »

Heho,

matches L 177 quite well, but some specimens show even bigger spots.
Some phenotypes of B. xanthellus dont match any l-number actually, the variation in this species is huge.
Daniel
KSquared

Post by KSquared »

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm aware of the variation... much to read and more and more confusion. These are really popular apparently as well. I can see why I love the coloring on them. I'm hoping it stays colorful into adulthood and I'm hoping it lives a good long life. I also understand they are not likely to do so though. Doing everything I can to provide him/her with a good place to try anyway.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

Your fish will loose the seams during maturation, the spots will get smaller and the dark base colour will get a little lighter, but anyway if you take good care of it (plenty of food, high temperatures and again plenty of food) it will live years. The oldest specimen of this species I know is 13 or now possibly 14 years in captivity.

cheers
Daniel
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

Once you get them settled in, they start eating and live in good conditions without stress they do very well. I have one (L081) that I bought at 6cm back in 2006. I still have it in my large tank and is doing very well :d
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
KSquared

Post by KSquared »

Thanks all it's definitely got an appetite. Loves the zucchini. Settling in well. I have it in with my Bruno and they both seem to like different types of hiding places and things to hang on, with lots of wood and other deco. Hoping they both last a good long time. Never thought I would be so into plecos but I'm finding it hard to resist buying all the different kinds I've seen at the LFS. I'm about to go get another 55 just to keep a couple more in... going to run out of room in the house soon...
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)
Location 2: USA

Post by CharlieM9 »

Sounds like it is a time for a fish only room? Or maybe a house addition if there's no room currently ;). Seems to happen to the best of us....
KSquared

Post by KSquared »

I have an as yet unfinished basement that is calling to me for this very purpose. A friend jokingly suggested I turn it into a "fish" room. However that is turning out to be a premonition, rather than a joke. I just bought a 90gal tank. Once I get it setup and running I have a green phantom and a rino pleco calling my name already :)

Return to “What is my catfish?”