Is this Corydoras axelrodi or C003?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kruseman
My images: 11
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Limburg
Location 2: the Netherlands
Interests: fish, speedskating, classical music,

Is this Corydoras axelrodi or C003?

Post by kruseman »

A fishstore that I regurarly visit, posted this video of ( what they call) Corydoras C003.
Formerly known as C. deckeri if I'm not mistaken.

Or could it be a variety of Corydoras axelrodi?

“Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.”
kruseman
My images: 11
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Limburg
Location 2: the Netherlands
Interests: fish, speedskating, classical music,

Re: Is this Corydoras axelrodi or C003?

Post by kruseman »

Anyone?
“Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.”
rmc
My cats species list: 54 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My BLogs: 21 (i:23, p:909)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: Milwaukee, USA

Re: Is this Corydoras axelrodi or C003?

Post by rmc »

My suggestion is to grow them out a bit and post pictures of the more mature fish. I have young C.axelrodi right now and they display this pattern ... somewhat. The dorsal fins of my juveniles are not quite as dark as the ones in your photo, but that could be due to being photgraphed on a darker substrate - mine are on pure white silica sand. I have seen fish (a bit larger than yours) currently for sale online at wetspot tropical fish in Portland, Oregon, US. They were imported from Columbia and appear to be closer to C003 than C.axelrodi, but they are not quite right for C003 either. Right now Wetspot is marking them as C003. To me this means that either C003 is more variable in appearance than previously thought or that there is yet another - slightly different variant out there.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”