Mixing orange lasers and leopards?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
yayfish24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: lancaster pa

Mixing orange lasers and leopards?

Post by yayfish24 »

Is it likely to get hybrids if I mix my two species? The lasers have a 20 gallon to themselves except for a small bristlenose plecos and some shrimp. I'd eventually like to breed the lasers but my leopards arnt doing too great in my 75. Do I have to worry about hybrids or will they be OK mixed together?
yayfish24

Re: Mixing orange lasers and leopards?

Post by yayfish24 »

Anyone have some input?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 141
My cats species list: 144 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2680)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 182
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

In my experience, if you keep multiples of mixed sexes of each species together, corys tend to spawn with their own kind instead of with each other. But this is not a hard-and-fast rule.

You might want to read this thread: hybridization b/w elegans group species. In there you'll find a running list of known corydoras hybrids.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube & Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code bekateen for 15% off your order.
Also, for you Swifties: Https://youtu.be/ZUKdhXL3NCw
yayfish24

Post by yayfish24 »

Thank you for your input. I'm gonna put both species together and see what happens.
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

At the catfish cataclysm this topic was touched on briefly, our speaker indicated he had had no hybridization issues when he mixed short nosed with long nosed species, but had seen some hybridization when he kept short nosed species together or long nosed species together. Admittedly this is anecdotal, but I thought I would share.
rmc
My cats species list: 54 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My BLogs: 21 (i:23, p:909)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: Milwaukee, USA

Post by rmc »

That would be me - thanks for remembering! :) Yes, I don't feel that CW010 (orange lasers) which is an "aeneus type" and C.leopardus which is a "straight snouted" Corydoras will likely hybridize if kept in the same tank. Another important factor is group size. If you have groups of each sp. in a tank that will also lessen the risk of hybridization.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”