Good Company for Surviving Syno Eupterus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
FeatherFinMama
Location 2: Los Angeles, CA

Good Company for Surviving Syno Eupterus?

Post by FeatherFinMama »

Sadly one of my two syno eupterus died today, I believe of old age. I got both in 1990. The surviving syno is all alone now in a 60g tank. :((

I would like to add 1-3 fish depending on species/size, for company, but I don't want long-lived fish. Normal life spans of 3-7 years would be ideal. They have to be large enough so the syno won't eat them, but this is only a 60g so, med sized fish would be good. A school of fish somewhere north of food-size is ok too. I like peaceful fish, so not into African Cichlids. Unfortunately my water is hard (14dGH) and alkaline (7.8-8.0). If anyone has any suggestions... thanks.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Re: Good Company for Surviving Syno Eupterus?

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Congo Tetras, Phenacogrammus interruptus?
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
FeatherFinMama

Post by FeatherFinMama »

Thanks for that... very beautiful little fish I will seriously consider. Am also considering the Emperor Tetra and Black Skirt though the Congo and Emperor's are prettier imo. Am a little concerned about the pH/hardness... but they would have a lot of fun in a 60g if they acclimated and weren't too frightened by the syno. He's always been really sweet, not moody like many syno's... but he's always (and only) been with fish larger than he is, so have never seen him interact with a school of small fish, but I think he would really like the activity and company of several small fish since it would be interesting and new. Unless being a senior he'd rather be alone, but I don't get that impression.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London

Post by racoll »

Congo tetras are a good option. I never had problems keeping them in hard water. They are tank bred these days, so should be pretty adaptable.

A good sized shoal in a 60G would look stunning. The syno will most likely ignore them.
FeatherFinMama

Post by FeatherFinMama »

Thanks racoll. Read some more about the Congo... one site mentioned they are egg layers and the eggs are prone to fungus... I imagine the syno would eat any eggs, but I really don't want fish reproducing. In hard water am I correct in assuming this isn't a concern? Also eyeing the Buenos Aires Tetras. It's down to these two species as far as schooling fish, I think.

Since I do want them to be company for the syno I'm wondering conversely if I should go with a larger, single fish. I found a couple smaller cichlids (4.5 - 5") that are supposedly not aggressive: the Sunshine Peacock and Yellow Lab. Considering maybe one of each instead of a school of small fish. Only they live up to 10 years. I was hoping to not be locked into a long life span again. But it seems like they would be better mates for the syno... OTOH if they bullied him I'd have to return them.

Decisions... meanwhile I feel very bad for the syno... he seems to be mourning. Not coming out of the log that belonged to his departed friend.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 141
My cats species list: 144 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2680)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 182
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

FYI my Buenos Aires tetras are a bit nippy with each other and with my Scleromystax.

Eric
Find me on YouTube & Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code bekateen for 15% off your order.
Also, for you Swifties: Https://youtu.be/ZUKdhXL3NCw
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London

Post by racoll »

one site mentioned they are egg layers and the eggs are prone to fungus... In hard water am I correct in assuming this isn't a concern?
Indeed. Characiforms are not so easy to breed, and the young are hard to raise. Don't worry about getting flooded with baby congo tetras (and if you did you could sell them easily). If you did want to breed them, then soft water would become more important. The syno would certainly eat the eggs anyway.
Also eyeing the Buenos Aires Tetras.
These have a reputation as fin nippers, but whether they would go for a syno, I don't know. Generally the bigger the group, the less likely they are to interfere with other species.
I found a couple smaller cichlids (4.5 - 5") that are supposedly not aggressive: the Sunshine Peacock and Yellow Lab. Considering maybe one of each instead of a school of small fish. Only they live up to 10 years
These cichlids are not going to do so well as singletons I don't think. They have complex social interactions and need to be kept in groups.

P.S. Congo tetras will live 10 years too, and probably the Buenos Aires tetras as well.
FeatherFinMama

Post by FeatherFinMama »

Thanks for the tips.... looks like Congos win over BA's. But if they live 10 years (holy mackerel, I thought most little fish lived 3-7 years!)...

...really wanted to avoid long-lived species all together right now. Changes upcoming and all. Will be moving in 5-7 yrs and having moved many times over the last 25 yrs, moving the tank each time... would prefer to tear it down after my current fish naturally expire, then start a new tank again after the move as this move is going to be further and more complicated. But I guess if that's the case I will have to stick with a Betta. :d Or a school of Black Skirts.

You have both given me a lot to think about... I appreciate it. Thanks again for your valuable input.

Return to “African Catfishes”