fry tank size recommendation and a few questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

fry tank size recommendation and a few questions

Post by Supercorygirl »

So on Sept 25, I pulled about 100 eggs that my CW009 spawned and put them in a hang on breeder box. Have lost estimate of approximately 20 (infertile, blister belly) so have roughly 80-3 week old fry of varying sizes in the breeder box. I have a spare 15G ( foot print 24" x 12") that I can set up and move a 30G sponge to. I will probably lose a few more after transfer but was wondering if this would be sufficient to house the fry till they are 3-4months old at which time I'm hoping they are of a saleable/rehoming size. What minimum size do you rehome/sell corys? I usually don't sell till half to almost adult size but never had these large of spawns. Decor would just be the sponge filter and java moss on play sand bed. Incidently I ask for minimum size as they just spawned again roughly 120 eggs.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: fry tank size recommendation and a few questions

Post by MChambers »

A 15G tank is fine for growing out a bunch of cory fry. Just keep up with the water changes. I usually wait until they are about an inch long before selling them.

Sounds like you've had good results putting cory eggs in a breeder box. I did not have good luck when I tried, with most of the eggs getting fungus. Maybe I will try again.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

For eggs I use smaller size marina hang on breeder box with no inserts, 2 drops kordon methyl blue, but what I do, I turn the breeder so it sits in tank with the airstone going. Another is the breeder box gets a good cleaning after each use with vinegar (1part vinegar, 3parts water) also great for cleaning aquarium glass :d . Thanks for the advice, hope it all works better for you
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

Supercorygirl wrote:For eggs I use smaller size marina hang on breeder box with no inserts, 2 drops kordon methyl blue, but what I do, I turn the breeder so it sits in tank with the airstone going. Another is the breeder box gets a good cleaning after each use with vinegar (1part vinegar, 3parts water) also great for cleaning aquarium glass :d . Thanks for the advice, hope it all works better for you
Thanks. I once tried turning the box and using meth blue, but it still didn't work. Maybe it was the particular batch of eggs.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”