Which one to choose:Baryancistrus sp. or L191?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Which one to choose:Baryancistrus sp. or L191?

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I have finaly moved all the fishes of the 20g tank into my new 55g and are all ok and i think now its time to think about what other catfishes i will add because i have to specially order them and wait a month or longer.I have in mind the Baryancistrus sp(L81,L177,L47) or Panaque L191.I dont know which one to choose because i like all of them but i am not sure if they will coexist peacefully with my other fishes which are:
1 Platydoras costatus
2 L200
1 Panaquollus maccus
10 Cardinal tetra
The tank dimensions are:100-43-56
Which of them do you think is more suitable for my tank?Of which of them can i keep two in this tank without having problems?

Thank you in advance
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

a 55 is too small a home for a royal, long term. They also tend to be a lot grumpier than baryancistrus. I'd suggest the gold nugget
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

agree with Allan either Baryancistrus sp L81 or L177.
flyinmike
Location 1: Ft. Worth, TX USA
Interests: Plecos, plecos, and more plecos

Post by flyinmike »

If you get the royal small and plan on upsizing tanks in the next year and a half or so I'd get both. I have a 6"(TL) royal and a 4"(TL) L-177 in a 55 and they co-exist just fine. IMO it's because one is a veggie eater and one is a meat eater. Matter of fact there is also a 3" clown plec and a 4.5" Sunshine in there also. I'm sure they originally worked out a pecking order and because of the size difference nobody challenges it. I will say this, I anticipate moving the royal to a bigger tank by new years. Oh yeah, all but the sunshine have been in there a year. The sunshine about 3 months.
Plecos are the true centerpieces of any aquarium. Everything else just swims around them!!

27 members of Loricariidae, 12 different species.
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thank you all for your replys :wink:
If you get the royal small and plan on upsizing tanks in the next year and a half or so I'd get both
No,i dont plan to upgrade this tank so soon.I am going to ugrade it after 3-4years or ,if i have to ,sooner.
They also tend to be a lot grumpier than baryancistrus.
S.Allen, what do you mean by ''grumpier''.Do you mean that L191 will be more agressive towards my Platydoras?
Also i would like to ask you something else.Do any of these plecos eat echinodorus plant?

Thank you in advance
S. Allen
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

heh, royal's have a tendency, in my experience to be sort of nasty fish, chasing as best they can, pretty much any pleco they come across in a place they think they'd like to be. and if someone's got a pellet he wants it can get nasty.

As to the plants, panaque is known to cause some damage, by uprooting as much as anything else though. I've never caught the baryancistrus eating plants, but...
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I second the suggestion that you get the Baryancistrus sp! :)
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Also i would like to ask you something else.Which Baryancistrus sp. you think is more suitable for my tank?L81,L177 or L47?

Thank you in advance
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

Which Baryancistrus sp. you think is more suitable for my tank?L81,L177 or L47?
= L177.

ps L047 is not a Baryancistrus.
S. Allen

Post by S. Allen »

magnum, that is debatable... it's listed as paracistrus in aqualog, but some consider it to be baryancistrus. The scientific process hasn't yeilded any definitive answers as of yet, at least not to my knowledge.
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

I though it had been assigned to baryancistrus and was then rejected. Infact now you bring it up any one more upto date than i am, or is this still an on going arguement?
S. Allen

Post by S. Allen »

as far as I know it's ongoing... This site still has it listed under baryancistrus. If you've got an article I'd love it. as to designations I'm not trying my hand... I go by what's out there but till they give me a full scientific name or it's a simple case, I don't disregard other possibilities.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
So,which one should i order L177 or L47?

Thank you in advance
flyinmike
Location 1: Ft. Worth, TX USA
Interests: Plecos, plecos, and more plecos

Post by flyinmike »

Kostas wrote:Hi,
So,which one should i order L177 or L47?

Thank you in advance
My personal favorite is the L177. The larger spots and yellow edges on the dorsal and tail make for a very spectacular fish.. 8)
Plecos are the true centerpieces of any aquarium. Everything else just swims around them!!

27 members of Loricariidae, 12 different species.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I think that the general consenous of the forum is that gold nuggets are not quite as good surviving the shipping process as other plecos are. Just something to keep in mind.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
lizardking
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Aquarium Lover

Post by lizardking »

Hi Kosta, I would take the L177. I had 8 pcs of them (2"-4") and they are doing fine in my pleco community tank. My last L47 died for no apparent reason a month ago and I had lost 5 L47s so far. Sigh, I m giving up on them :cry: . Both L177 and L47 are pretty shy and tend to lose out when competing with other more adventurous plecos for food. Happy pleco hunting! :)
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Which of them grow smaller?I ask you that because other say L177 reach 14" and others that he reach only 6".
Also i would like to ask you which of them will not eat my echinodorus plants

Thank you in advance
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Today i found 5 L47 for 50E each one.Is this a fair price for a 2'' L47?Can i buy two of them?They are very beautifull and seem to be healthy.Also i would like to know how fast they will reach 10''.

Thank you in advance
lizardking

Post by lizardking »

Hi Kostas,

In Singapore, the L47 ard 3" are going for about S$35 each. You can have 2 if u provide enough hiding places for them to take shelter. The initial squabbling for territory is inevitable but as long as there is enough hiding places for them, things should be fine after a few days. The growth rate for L47 is very slow but I ever came across a 10" specimen a few years ago. Good luck.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply lizardking :wink:
I would like to ask you some more questions:Will L47 eat my echinodorus plants?What is the correct temprature to keep L47?

Thank you in advance
lizardking

Post by lizardking »

Hi Kosta, my L177 and L47 did munched on the stalks and the leaves of the few anubias nanas that were already in the tank but they never destroy them completely though. So I guess u will be taking a risk with your echinodorus plants. But my guess is that if u have a piece a tasty zuchinni in ur tank most of the time then they should leave ur plants alone! :)
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I think i will take the risk but before i buy them i would like to know what is the correct temprature to keep them.

Thank you in advance
lizardking

Post by lizardking »

Hi Kosta,
Generally, they should be fine in temperature ranging from 25-29 degrees. In Singapore, the temperature is pretty constant and my tank temperature in the 27-29 degrees range. Both L47 and L177 loves current so do trash the water around a bit ya.... :wink:
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I will buy them within the following week.
I would also like to ask you from which river they come from and if there is a way to sex them.

Thank you in advance
lizardking

Post by lizardking »

Hi Kosta,
L177 is from Rio Iriri and L47 from Rio Xingu. I have difficulty differentiating the sexes of spiecies from the Baryancistrus sp. Can anybody help? Cuz I have three pcs of LDA33 about 7-8" and I still couldn't tell the sexes apart. Thx
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thanks a lot lizardking :wink:
You were very helpfull.
lizardking

Post by lizardking »

No problem pal! :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”