Imported cories from Columbia

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Biulu
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:0)
Location 2: Oaxaca, Mexico

Imported cories from Columbia

Post by Biulu »

I love going to the Mexican fish (import) market because a lot of their fish comes from Columbia and this means inevitably corydoras during the season! they are mostly being sold under trade names (not scientific names) and most of the time they have no clue what they are selling. This has its own charm to it though.

They had several nice ones this time, of which I only recognised the red spot cory (cw 023). I would have loved to get this cory, but there was only one left, so not much use to buy it.

Here is what I did get:

ImageDSC01287 by Biulu, on Flickr

ImageDSC01276 by Biulu, on Flickr

ImageDSC01288 by Biulu, on Flickr

ImageDSC01291 by Biulu, on Flickr

ImageDSC01286 by Biulu, on Flickr

They seem to have been wild caught. The first thing I would like to know is HOW many species I have. I think I have 2, but I am hesitating whether it are 3 different ones.

Hopefully anybody has a clue to what they are.
Biulu

Re: Imported cories from Columbia

Post by Biulu »

Could this be brevirostris? The snout is pretty long. They are definitively mature as they measure about 5 cms from head to tail.
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

Biulu wrote:Could this be brevirostris? The snout is pretty long. They are definitively mature as they measure about 5 cms from head to tail.
my first thoughts too, but those aren't from Colombia I believe .
Biulu

Post by Biulu »

Goedenavond landgenoot!

If you click on the map that comes with the profile you can see they can be found on the border between Venezuela and Columbia (Orinoco basin) so I would say it is a possibility.
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

Biulu wrote:Goedenavond landgenoot!

If you click on the map that comes with the profile you can see they can be found on the border between Venezuela and Columbia (Orinoco basin) so I would say it is a possibility.
Hallo daar !! It seems my geography-skillls aren't miraculous hahaha.
Ahhh then you defo could be right about one of the two species shown !!!
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,
Biulu wrote:Could this be brevirostris? The snout is pretty long.
you are nearly giving the answer already: brevirostris means "short nose" ;-) => no !
Biulu wrote:They are definitively mature as they measure about 5 cms from head to tail.
I don't quite understand this argumentation.
Most corys can reach more then 5 cm, some even much more and most imported cory are not fully grown.
However, corys usually have adult colouration at this size, perhaps you meant to say this.

IMHO your cory is Corydoras delphax.
Which cory do you think is a different species, I think they are all the same.
Corydoras delphax is variable in the pattern.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Biulu

Post by Biulu »

Thanks Karsten, on another forum we were also concluding it would be delphax. This also coincides with the origin as this cory is native to Columbia. What I meant with mature is that they are ready to reproduce and as you say, at that point the colour pattern and other physical distinguishing featurses are visible.

Maybe it is not too clear from the pictures that I posted, but some have a completely dark dorsal, others only a bit, some have small stripes whereas others have more dots, and there is one that seems to have an almost horizontal line like bilineatus.

Return to “What is my catfish?”