water quality following hatching

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
inatthedeepend
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Location 2: Uk, Cardiff

water quality following hatching

Post by inatthedeepend »

I've noticed that since the clutch of bristlenose eggs hatched there has been a deterioration in water quality - an oily film on the surface (taken care of with paper towels) and an increase in algae (which I'm not too unhappy with, as there will soon be a few hungry mouths looking for food).

Is this a common thing?
Atmichaels
My cats species list: 27 (i:26, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:2, p:112)
Location 2: Michigan, USA

Re: water quality following hatching

Post by Atmichaels »

Sounds like this could be related to (over) feeding. Algae blooms occur when there are excess nutrients. What is your setup?
inatthedeepend

Post by inatthedeepend »

125 litre tank, Fluval 405 external. Heavily planted into fairly fine (3-7mm) gravel, running 23 degrees.
iziko
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Israel

Post by iziko »

Do you use light?

I'm defiantly over feeding as I growing the fry (was 70 now 30 - some of them I sold) with the parents (3 female 1 male) and they are all in same tank of 55 liter with sump filter on the back.

I'm feeding 3 times a dy abot 7-10 tabs (see the ling in my signature to see what tabs) and getting what you have describe.

The tank substrate is Fluval.
inatthedeepend

Post by inatthedeepend »

You feed a LOT of food - the thing is, I'm dropping 4 algae wafers a day in, and they're not all getting eaten despite the high tank population - my pleces seem to prefer the algae on the glass to the wafers (which I break up and scatter a little).

My fluval 125 tank comes as standard with lights, which are getting used. What I'm hoping is that as the fry get bigger and their appetites increase I'll see more uptake in the dried wafers, and will increase feeding accordingly. Introducing cherry shrimps and more fry actually seems to have increased water quality, algae is being taken care of beautifully as well.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”