Have you got experience with L075s?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Oceanica
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: United Kingdom

Have you got experience with L075s?

Post by Oceanica »

Hi guys,

I've got two L075s about 10 days ago which I hope are a male and female (but really can't tell at all). They are about 5" long and seem to have settled in well in the tank. The one thing I'm slightly worried about is that the slightly larger one is chasing the slightly smaller one, whose fins are starting to fray. I'd been led to believe that L075s are relatively peaceful, so I'm surprised at these quarrelsome interactions.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow L075 keepers. Is this a normal part of settling in a new tank? Is the larger pleco claiming territory? Would they do better in small group? In which case, would buying just one more make a difference? I am mindful that these plecos grow relatively large and that the tank they're in, though large, is already quite well stocked with several non-aggressive SA cichlids and tetras, so a larger L075 group is unfortunately not an option.
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Re: Have you got experience with L075s?

Post by jp11biod »

I have 5 in a 125 gal tank with lots of hiding places and have not seen any aggressive behavior from any of them. I would make sure you have several hiding places they can use. Offer them different sizes in different areas of the tank
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

What size tank are they are in? I also have mine in a 125 gallon. The biggest is 8" long and the smaller ones are about 6". I grew out the smaller ones separately from 3" in another tank and put them in there when they were about 4"+ and I have not ever seen any aggression between them.
Oceanica
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: United Kingdom

Post by Oceanica »

They're in a 7ft, 184 US gallon tank, and there are plenty of caves. Oh well... maybe it's just a phase.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Yes, I can't imagine space being a problem in that tank.
lilu
My cats species list: 34 (i:18, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Location 2: Montreal, Canada

Post by lilu »

I only have 1, but he's full grown. When I first got him it took a little bit of time for him to settle down and not be zipping around the tank bumping into the other fish whenever someone moved in the room or approached the tank. I've seen no aggression from him at all towards smaller or larger fish. There was one disagreement with my larger Syno (who is the same size) over a cave because they both seem to prefer coconut caves over slate or ceramic, and there happened to be a large rabbit snail cleaning inside one of the coconut caves. Neither the L075 nor the Syno wanted to enter while the snail was still there so they had a disagreement about who gets the other one...the Syno ended up keeping the cave and the L075 had to wait till the snail left.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”