filter size for panaque tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pete
Location 1: North Wales UK
Interests: fish, motorbikes

filter size for panaque tank

Post by pete »

I have got a Gibbiceps and Panaque Nigrolineatus in a 36 by 15 by 18inch tank (about 35 gallons ) with a meduim external filter (eheim 2233, 5 watt rated at 500 litres hour ) with siporax medium and carbon and a ehiem small internal filter with sponge.There are about 12 other fish in this tank, tetras barbs and 4 angel fish.
After reading shanes reply to my last post I thought it may be a good idea to add a powerhead or large internal filter to give a stronger current. I thought a fluval 4 internal which has a 10 watt motor and rated at 1000 litres per hour would do the job.
I was just wondering if the flow rate would be too high especially for the tetras and angelfish ?
Pete
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I was just wondering if the flow rate would be too high especially for the tetras and angelfish ?
I would be a little conserned for the angel fish because they will not appreciate too much flow.
if you are trying to make a more suitable enviroment have you considered splitting the residence into two seperate tanks. the next best thing would be to get a smaller powerhead (600l) and position it right at the bottom of the tank with the flow aimed at some wood, this should make them feel at home and the wood will break up the current so that the rest of the inhabitants arn't disturbed too much.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”