SAFEST WAY TO MOVE A PLEC??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fairgroundfish
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Rutland

SAFEST WAY TO MOVE A PLEC??

Post by fairgroundfish »

I have brought myself a lovely little (for now) pleco, i was told its a butterfly pleco by pets at home, i know buying from them isnt the best but i currently dont know any reputable breeders near me. Anyway hes (thats a guess) happily been living with my 5 goldies, niether are bothered with each other, and hes doing a grand job cleaning too.

I now need to move my tank which means draining it, but it suddenly occured to me i have no idea how remove him safely without hurting him?? could someone give me some pointers, i use an old baby bath usually to put them in when cleaning and pop them in the bathroom with lights off to reduce stress.

Thanks x
fairgroundfish

Re: SAFEST WAY TO MOVE A PLEC??

Post by fairgroundfish »

…So just thought ide do a quick search whilst on here…he doesnt look anything like a butterfly…i will have to get some pictures next time he comes out… swims/or rather sucks and.shuffles along the side too fast… :-\
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Does it look like this?

fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Hmm... no, not really, "jamesfish''posted about reclaiming a 2ft he posted some pics that are like him of his fry, ive asked him what they are, my boy just doesnt stay szill long enough to get a photo lol x
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You mean like this?

fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Yes, i think it could be a bristle nose, lacking bristles… so im guessing actually female??
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

So, the answer to your question depends a lot on what kind of fish it is. From your description it sounds a lot like a 'butterfly loach', the fish in the picture I posted. They are often sold as 'butterfly plecs'. If it is one of these, just use a net to catch it.

If it is a real plec, such as a bristlenose, nets can be a problem because the spines get caught in them. I prefer to catch them with my hands and a small margarine tub.

Try and get some pics, even if they are bad.
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Well ive just popped in some cucumber, for the first time, so will see if i can lore him out lol, the link xou posted just took me to a page of different bristlenose pictures, not moving till the weekend, but i will try the butter tub method, thanks x

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”