Large Aequidens and Brochis Splendens

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Large Aequidens and Brochis Splendens

Post by jac »

Not really a Callichthyidae question but more related to large Cichlids.. But I'll give it a shot here.

Yesterday evening we were sitting on front of my 3.00-80-80 South America tank. Just enjoying the quiet painting in front with a drink and a snack.

When suddenly my large Aequidens Herrera Jenaro male shot trough the tank, Brochis Splendens flying all over the tank. When I looked again I saw the Aequidens had a Brochis in his mouth!!! I had never seen this before. I did notice the Aequidens is getting more territorial and parades the tank the whole day.... In slight panic I had to catch the Aequidens because the Brochis was stuck in his mouth. It was still alive luckily!!!! I know Loricariidae will jam themselves in a cave when disturbed, so I thought the Brochis would do so too. When I had the Aequidens I could get the Brochis out and both were released again in the tank.

But my question is now, will large Aequidens eat smaller fish like Brochis Splendens?? Or was this a one off, kind of a mistake? I can imagine that when the Aequidens wants to shoo away the Brochis with his mouth open and a Brochis rushes out the wrong way it shoots up in his mouth.. Could this be a theory? I don't know if I can keep the Aequidens now.... They have been in the tank together now for a year without problems.

Here some pictures of the key players...

Aequidens Herrera Jenaro, well over 25cm

The Brochis Splendens, around 5-8cm

Thanks in advance..
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
Roland
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Norway

Re: Large Aequidens and Brochis Splendens

Post by Roland »

Beatufull Aequidens Herrera Jenaro ^:)^
If the Brochis goes into the mouth of the Ae. He might eat them. From what You say, It sounds like the Ae. are going to spawn. And then I`m not sure this is a good connection :YMPRAY:
johni
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Salzburg/Austria
Location 2: salzburg
Interests: SA catfish & cichlids

Post by johni »

Hi!

I only can tell you that I have had Aequidens metae (15cm) together with some Otocinlcus sp.
All the Otocinclus were eaten.

Greetings,
Hannes
Kif
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: East Yorkshire

Post by Kif »

Off the subject but great looking tank.
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

Ok, something to think about. Thank you Johni.
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”