which repashy do you feed your ancistrus and hypancistrus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Templeflower
My cats species list: 3 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 2: United States

which repashy do you feed your ancistrus and hypancistrus?

Post by Templeflower »

Hi all,

For those who are using repashy superfoods, which varieties are you feeding your ancistrus? I currently am putting soilent green and super green in for mine. I'm wondering if the shrimp souffle would be acceptable as well?

My cories get meat pie(they get some of the others too, when the ancistrus feel like sharing). I've noticed my adult females, who are becoming gravid, occasionally nibble on this, probably to help with their egg production, although my male utterly ignores it's existence. (good thing!)My BNs also get fresh veggies and spirulina wafers,in addition to the repashy.

I'm interested to hear what everyone else is using? I'm getting in some juvie L066s this week too, who I plan to feed the meat pie, and maybe some spawn and grow?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Re: which repashy do you feed your ancistrus and hypancistru

Post by Yann »

HI!!

Talking about Repashy fish food I just couldn't resist to share this:

The more controversially (or humorously) named product, Allen Repashy’s Morning Wood, is a Xylivore Gel Premix; to be a xylivore is to feed on or to consume wood, as many Loricarid catfishes are known to do.

We’ll let the product catelog description speak for itself: “Our Super Firm, Long Lasting Formula for Fish that like to Suck Hard Wood. This freshwater gel premix formula uses wood cellulose and triple the gelling ingredients to create a durable high fiber gel feed that is great for wood rasping species. It also makes an excellent weekend feeder for the community tank. This formula is also very palatable for aquatic snails, and because it lasts a long time, it makes a great “bait” for attracting them to one location where they can easily be culled from the aquarium.”

Whether you find Repashy’s product marketing offensive or hysterical (you cannot deny the creativity), there’s one important point to be made; this is probably the only wood-based feed specifically designed for wood-feeding catfishes on the market anywhere.

While we could have a field day taking over-the-top creative license with our closing remarks, we’ll leave those to your imagination (and comments)!’
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/09/ ... edrum-too/

Allen has really a nice sense of humour!! ^^

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I feed Soilent Green and Spawn & Grow most of the time, with the addition of the RedRum. I don't care about the color so much for my fish, but because I have the shop and feed from all the same batches, it's easier to just put it in everything. I do feed the Shrimp Souffle every third batch, instead of the Spawn & Grow. I think the Shrimp Souffle is more suited to Hypancistrus than the Soilent Green, but the Spawn & Grow is rich enough that they thrive on it. Then again, I'm spawning them, not just keeping them.

Allen is working on a custom formulation engine for his food, meaning that I will be able to develop my own mix, and purchase it for my fish. I'm really looking forward to trying it!

On a site note, that's my royal pleco on that package, LOL.

Barbie
wijnands
My images: 1
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: netherlands

Post by wijnands »

Shame that stuff isn't on the European market.

Any idea what he uses as a gel base?
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Agar seaweed, I think. I thought he said it was available overseas, I will check. If not, I could probably attempt to send you some. I'm a vendor for the stuff at my shop. I was quite reluctant to try it (read that as almost impossible to convince), and I feed 90% or more Repashy now.

Barbie
.Plecomania.
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

Barbie, do plecos like ancistrus and hypans really take the repashy gel foods well? or do they first turn their nose up at it and the get used to eating it?
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Ancistrus go right to it the second or third time you put it in the tank. Hypancistrus can be a little bit slower to take to it, but once they do they fatten up faster than any other food I've tried to date.

Barbie
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

Repashy is now finally available it seems. Some of the repto dealers are now also stocking the fish foods. Expensive though at 10 euros a small jar.

I´ve done an experimental batch of a gel myself using gelatine. If anyone´s remotely interested I´ll get some agar and do me own blend.
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

First batch seems to work reasonably well. It's relatively shrimp proof. At first it had landed in an inconveient place so I took out my planting tweezers to move it. Tried to gently dislodge the small ancistrus stuck to it but she wasn't having any and stayed stuck. After I'd moved it big daddy found it, decided he really liked it and dragged it to his cave.

Even so I'm a bit concerned if gelatin isn't too high in protein. I'll get some agar and do a fresh batch sometime soon

I've also dropped a small sliver in the fry tank, will inspect tonight see if they got the idea.
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

That small jar of food makes a LOT of food. It's worth the money, IMO. His formulas really have fixed all sorts of problems and the fish do great on it. Reinventing the wheel may not actually save you much, in the end, if you lose a few fry.

Barbie
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

so which repashy food would you say is a must have for hypancistrus like L260s? adults and fry.
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Spawn & Grow

Barbie
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

cool, thanks!
franco68
Location 2: Milan Italy

Post by franco68 »

in europe online I found this food but not for aquatic animals :(( . can someone help me? :YMPRAY:
Bamboo
Location 2: Austin

Post by Bamboo »

Hi there !!! Repashy has come along ways in the market. I remember when he was with Sandfire Dragon Ranch , lol .... Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying these food lines to all my plecos. How long do you keep the food in the tank ? 12 hrs ? 24 hrs ? esp. since the first time or two , the plecos may not eat it .....
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Post by mcaquatic »

Barbie wrote:I feed Soilent Green and Spawn & Grow most of the time, with the addition of the RedRum. I don't care about the color so much for my fish, but because I have the shop and feed from all the same batches, it's easier to just put it in everything. I do feed the Shrimp Souffle every third batch, instead of the Spawn & Grow. I think the Shrimp Souffle is more suited to Hypancistrus than the Soilent Green, but the Spawn & Grow is rich enough that they thrive on it. Then again, I'm spawning them, not just keeping them.

Allen is working on a custom formulation engine for his food, meaning that I will be able to develop my own mix, and purchase it for my fish. I'm really looking forward to trying it!

On a site note, that's my royal pleco on that package, LOL.

Barbie
What is redrum?
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

mcaquatic wrote: What is redrum?
http://tedsfishroom.com/store/products/redrum/
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Post by mcaquatic »

cool thanks. would this have any benefit for my L200s, L14s,and L47?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”