L-190 panaque

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
andriesvk
Location 2: Sweden

L-190 panaque

Post by andriesvk »

Someone on another forum wrote that these fish produce
A wood "dust cloud"wich could harm my altum or discus is this true
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: L-190 panaque

Post by Linus_Cello »

I think this statement could be true if you didn't do adequate water changes. If you do sufficient water changes to keep the "dust clouds" to a minimum, I think you can keep discus and angels (especially highly bred/domesticated ones) with panaques.

If you are keeping wild altums and discus (e.g. heckels), these probably need much higher water quality that there is a risk in keeping these with your panaques, unless you are doing daily water changes (maybe 40% every day).

I'd be curious to see what other's say. I would love to set-up a large tank with panaques and discus. (Right now, I have L204 with my discus).
fosco
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: italy

Post by fosco »

Why should damage the fish the ' cloud ' of wood? I have two 500-litre tubs with a common filtration NET with plants and other living plants with spogliain discus and one schaeferi and many other varinella tank armored catfishes and panaqolus alongside there are 6 panaque, L25 and other large armored catfishes.No feedback problems.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

I've always found my L190s to make a fair bit of sawdust, I think it is a healthy normal thing for wood eating Panaques. You should be able to minamise it with good circulation and heavy mechanical filtration. I have four 18-20cm L190 in my tank and they make a fair bit of sawdust, this is about 2/3 of a weeks worth, siphoned out of the settling chamber in my sump;

and one of the culprits, you can see the sawdust on the wood above him. I really need a little more flow through that part of the tank to keep it moving.
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”