10 Gallon tank pictus catfish READ PLEASE!!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Jacobbellar
Location 2: Athens

Pictus Catfish Help needed please!!!

Post by Jacobbellar »

OK, i have a 10 gallon tank which i know the fish i have are fine with that i have 3 neon tetras and a pictus catfish... The neon adjusted, and are fine now they are shinny and happy. But the Pictus catfish will sit at different corners of the day.... the first day he was at the left corner just sits there doesn't eat or move, then this morning i decided to put a book there maybe he is trying to look out lol idk... and he ran to the other side and is just sitting there on the side of the tank.. The temperature is in the green at 80 degrees F which is good because they need like 76-82 like most fish some where in there... So umm yeah i would like some help with this and try and get him moving around if there is anything i need to do.. All advice will be appreciated.. THanks! :)Also i would like to add that there is good on the bottom.. he just does not go for it! oh and i just remembered that he is scared of light or something.. because last night i turned my light on to check the temperature and he was on the bottom then when he noticed he ran up the side in the corner and sat there i can get some pictures later today at like 10:00pm lol Anything i mean is this normal???
Last edited by Jacobbellar on 12 Oct 2013, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Jacobbellar

Re: Pictus Catfish Help needed please!!!

Post by Jacobbellar »

Is this normal???????? I could use some help
Jacobbellar

10 Gallon tank pictus catfish READ PLEASE!!

Post by Jacobbellar »

I have a pictus catfish, and 3 Neon tetras. Temp 80 degrees F, got them 3 days ago, in a 10 gallon tank and i know they can live in that. (tank was sitting with filter for like 2 weeks) before adding stuff.. Neons run around and play i have not seen them eat but i am sure they do because they are shinny and happy... But the catfish just sits in the corner doing nothing.. all day all night doesn't eat or anything if there something i need to do??? Get another one as a friend or get him anything special? or is this normal?? I mean he has been in for 3 days and i figured i should get some help now! Please help me with this!! Reply :) Thanks
Tony C
My cats species list: 13 (i:4, k:0)
My Wishlist: 18
Location 1: Columbia, SC
Location 2: USA

Re: 10 Gallon tank pictus catfish READ PLEASE!!

Post by Tony C »

Jacobbellar wrote:I have a pictus catfish, and 3 Neon tetras. Temp 80 degrees F, got them 3 days ago, in a 10 gallon tank and i know they can live in that. (tank was sitting with filter for like 2 weeks) before adding stuff.. Neons run around and play i have not seen them eat but i am sure they do because they are shinny and happy... But the catfish just sits in the corner doing nothing.. all day all night doesn't eat or anything if there something i need to do??? Get another one as a friend or get him anything special? or is this normal?? I mean he has been in for 3 days and i figured i should get some help now! Please help me with this!! Reply :) Thanks
You'll know the pictus is settled in and eating when you no longer have neon tetras. :))

To be a bit more helpful, here is the Cat-eLog page for P. pictus: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/spe ... ies_id=276
You would be best off getting a bigger tank and more catfish, the neons may stay in the 10 gal and you could add a smaller catfish like a Corydoras sp. if you wish. One of the pygmy species would be a good choice so that you can have appropriately sized schools of both fish. If this is your first aquarium you should also get a good test kit and read up on the nitrogen cycle, you may have elevated levels of ammonia that are affecting the behavior of your fish.
Last edited by Tony C on 12 Oct 2013, 17:26, edited 3 times in total.
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

Please have a look at the species profile:
These fish need to kept in groups (single specimens tend to pine away) but a 10G tank is far too small for them. It is also likely to eat your neons sooner or later. Probably the best thing to do is to take it back to the shop, wait a few weeks (new tank need to be stocked very slowly) and then add some smaller compatible fishes instead. Alternatively, get a larger tank and get a group of pictus.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Pictus Catfish Help needed please!!!

Post by Birger »

Yes, unfortunately this is normal for a normally social fish when it is in a tank that is too small combined with the fact it is a schooling fish.Your best option would be to take it back and trade it in.

Sorry to have to give this news, it will never be comfortable.

Birger

(Mod edit)I have merged your two posts as they are on the same subject with the same answers needed.
Birger
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet!

I agree with the above advice.

OP: I have a pictus catfish, and 3 Neon tetras. Temp 80 degrees F, got them 3 days ago, in a 10 gallon tank and i know they can live in that.
******Pictus cannot, not for life, not humanely anyway.

OP: (tank was sitting with filter for like 2 weeks) before adding stuff..
******I bet your tank is not cycled. Normally it takes 4-6 weeks and one has to feed the bacteria. With seeding, it may be shorten to 3-4 weeks. Please provide water parameters - NH3, NO2, NO3, pH and with what test kit they were measured. This is a MUST before anyone is able to provide any sensible advice to you.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jacobbellar

Post by Jacobbellar »

Omg ok thank you guys for the advice and info lol And come to find out that is not a pictus catfish or any kind of catfish i forget what it is called right now but it was some kind of weird name that.. they only sit around do nothing eat when it is dark lol Got to be kidding me. that store did not give me what i wanted haha Funny stuff! Maybe someone knows the name of it.. he is black/Dark with a hard back spine thing before his head lol kinda long 1 long fin that is the back fin.. huge mouth Thanks again for reading and replying :)
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

take a picture. if its not a catfish the from your description it is very hard to tell what it is.
Tony C
My cats species list: 13 (i:4, k:0)
My Wishlist: 18
Location 1: Columbia, SC

Post by Tony C »

Taking a shot in the dark here, maybe an iridescent shark ? If so then I would trade it back ASAP, they are a very common fish that is not at all suitable for the home aquarium.

Return to “Tank Talk”