fairground goldfish with a bristlenose?????

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
fairgroundfish
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Rutland

fairground goldfish with a bristlenose?????

Post by fairgroundfish »

Yesterday I "rescued" 2 goldfish from the hook-a-duck at the fair.(I try to get as many as I can afford whenever I see them there. I have a proper tank, around 20lts I think, I managed to get a water plant from a neighbour he called it an apple plant or something, I've had to use gravel from outside (which I picked through ensuring nothing was in it and boiled it on the cooker for 10mins to clean it, I've also added my crystal tumble stones, quarts, amethyst etc. Not only for decoration but also to put some minerals into the water) I have had to use just plain tap water as I had nothing to treat it with at short notice, but they seem to be fine. I assume thats all the fair people used anyway? I will be going to get a filter on Wednesday.

- I have also used one of my daughters books to create a backing for the tank as it had a page with a fairy type house with plants etc. all over it -

I would like to get a Bristlenose, but would like a little advise on caring for it and if it really is ok to keep with goldfish as I've read?

My last fairground fish lasted 2 years untilj my younger brothers put hair conditioner in the bowl, that was 13years ago and I've still not forgiven them
[-X
Last edited by fairgroundfish on 29 Sep 2013, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Tony C
My cats species list: 13 (i:4, k:0)
My Wishlist: 18
Location 1: Columbia, SC
Location 2: USA

Re: fairground goldfish with a bristlenose?????

Post by Tony C »

fairgroundfish wrote:Yesterday I "rescued" 2 goldfish from the hook-a-duck at the fair.(I try to get as many as I can afford whenever I see them there. I have a proper tank, around 20lts I think, I managed to get a water plant from a neighbour he called it an apple plant or something, I've had to use gravel from outside (which I picked through ensuring nothing was in it and boiled it on the cooker for 10mins to clean it, I've also added my crystal tumble stones, quarts, amethyst etc. Not only for decoration but also to put some minerals into the water) I have had to use just plain tap water as I had nothing to treat it with at short notice, but they seem to be fine. I assume thats all the fair people used anyway? I will be going to get a filter on Wednesday.

I would like to get a Bristlenose, but would like a little advise on caring for it and if it really is ok to keep with goldfish as I've read?

My last fairground fish lasted 2 years untilj my younger brothers put hair conditioner in the bowl, that was 13years ago and I've still not forgiven them
[-X
That tank is far too small for even a single goldfish or pleco. A common goldfish can reach a foot or more in length and live well over 10 years if properly cared for.
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

It was all I had, obviously once they are bigger I will get a bigger tank, its 13inchs wide(front), 12inchs high by 7inches wide (sides) I guess its 20 lts but it could be more. I've kept fish many years ago in the small plastic bowls you get before without any problems x
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

I have added a photo to my "Aquaria" of the tank I'm sorry its not a very clear picture
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

What are you using for filtration and what is the water temperature at the coldest it gets? If you are planning to get a bigger tank, I'd do that now. You're going to need it and it would be a better idea for the Bristlenoses (which are OK with goldfish given enough space and a minimum water temp. of 74F).

Jools
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Atm i haven't got any filter as I gave mine to a friend whom broke it before I got the fish, I will be getting one wednesday as this is the earliest I can, I did have an Aqua-flow 100 but for the current tank I would need an A.F50. I couldn't tell you what the temp is but the tank is in my bookshelf unit away from sunlight and drafts but I would guess the room is around 18'C and doesn't vary in temp much as no heating on currently.

I've just had to do a 3/4 water change as my daughter was oh so helpful and fed them but put way to much in and it went really cloudy... just need Wednesday to hurry up so I can get the filter, I feel so bad for them. I did managed to find something they can use as a hide today, just waiting for 1 of them to find it now.

I'm trying to find a bigger tank that is affordable, obviously if I had planned to get the fish I would have brought and set the tank up to cycle first, but I can't stand seeing the fish at the fair, I'm sure its supposed to be illegal now? I haven't seen them do it for a few years anyway x
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Managed to get a 4ft tank with light filter and everything from a neighbour even got 3 more gold fish with it, but best of all I have saved most of the water I would say 70%, the water has already cycled. Giving them some time to settle then ill be getting a plec :-BD x
Tony C

Post by Tony C »

Very nice, you should see a big difference in the size and health of your goldfish compared to the ones you had in bowls before.

Cycling water is a common misconception, in a mature tank it is actually the substrate, decorations, tank walls, and of course the filter which host nitrifying bacteria. The number of free-floating nitrifiers is minuscule compared to those that colonize solid surfaces. If you transferred over other items besides the water you should be fine, but keep an eye on your water quality just in case the new tank gets thrown into a second or mini cycle.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

fairgroundfish wrote:Yesterday I "rescued" 2 goldfish ......I try to get as many as I can afford whenever I see them there.
I understand you are wanting to provide them with a better home which is admirable but by getting as many as you can it is perpetuating the cycle. If no one was interesting in them the fair would soon stop offereing them.
but also to put some minerals into the water
I'm not actually sure quartz or amethyst would alter the water chemistry at all & i don't see the benefits. Common goldfish would live well in a mineral poor water.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Tony C

Post by Tony C »

Richard B wrote:I'm not actually sure quartz or amethyst would alter the water chemistry at all & i don't see the benefits. Common goldfish would live well in a mineral poor water.
They won't, quartz and amethyst (a type of quartz) are made up of inert SiO2, the same mineral that makes up pool filter sand.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Goldfish prefer mineral rich water, but I think Rutland tapwater has plenty enough minerals, so not something to worry about. Weekly water changes will keep minerals and pH nicely stable.
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Yeah its pretty good down here, hardly any chlorine either, they all seem to be doing well and loving the freedom of so much room. I was worried the other 3 I got with the tank would bully the 2 from the fair but no they all hang together, even made a cave out of the slabs of stone which they all get into together lol, just gonna wait a couple of weeks to get the bristlenose as not to stress them to much,

Although someone said they can't be kept in cold water? So I'm now confused because everything I've read say they make the ideal match for goldfish?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Common Ancistrus won't do well in cold water. They are tolerant of temperate water. Several species of not-so-common Ancistrus can be kept at cooler temps (around 64F in my experience) but they're hard to find.

I think I've understood your tank is unheated which is similar but isn't the same as cold water. We don't really know what temperature it is. So much more discussion without knowing that is a little pointless. As I said above, if it goes below about 74F then a common bristlenose isn't a good idea. In that instance, you'll need to add a heater to keep the temperature from dropping much further.

Jools
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Going by the thermometer strip stuck the the side of the tank The water is 24C with an average temp of 22-26C, I'm not sure what this is in F'? I'm sorry to be posting about goldfish on here I know its for plecs, I'm just very confused with conflicting info on different sites :-\ . I do appreciate all the help and advice everyone has given me x
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Richard, tony, sorry I've only just seen your posts think I must have skipped over them, there where a lot of others besides the quarts a cereal bowl full of different tumbles, it was just to try and do something to help the water quality and cover the bottom until I had sorted the other tank out. I understand what you mean by getting them from the fair but I just don't like seeing them there x( makes me so angry tbh because they con people into buying a plastic box smaller than a lunch box and tell them it will be fine in there, if I can just save 1 and give it a happy home and life them I know I've done something good, can't see any animal suffer x
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Couple of pictures x
Attachments
Rose,petal,thorn,stem and rainbow - daughter chose the names
Rose,petal,thorn,stem and rainbow - daughter chose the names
The new tank
The new tank
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

I only wish my neighbour had used neutral/natural coloured stones, don't know about you guys but I do like natural looking tanks? What sort of things have you got in your? I will be getting another plant or 2 I think? X
Tony C

Post by Tony C »

fairgroundfish wrote:I only wish my neighbour had used neutral/natural coloured stones, don't know about you guys but I do like natural looking tanks? What sort of things have you got in your? I will be getting another plant or 2 I think? X
I would replace the gravel with sand, goldfish love to dig and sift through mouthfuls of sand for bits of food. You can try some more plants, but you may need to grow them in pots so that the fish digging won't disturb the roots too much. Fast growing, soft-leaved plants like Elodea/Anacharis are a great choice, the goldfish will snack on them but they generally grow fast enough that it doesn't harm the plants.

I would get rid of the bigger flat rocks, they will trap too much waste and the goldfish would prefer open areas that allow them to dig.
fairgroundfish

Post by fairgroundfish »

Thanks for the advice, yeah the slabs where what was with it, I've re arranged them to how neighbour had them (as they were just flat) to make a hide at one end then there's little "tunnel" and "cliff" type bits behind a through the others. I know what you mean by the sand my only issue is how can you clean their waste from it? x
Tony C

Post by Tony C »

fairgroundfish wrote:Thanks for the advice, yeah the slabs where what was with it, I've re arranged them to how neighbour had them (as they were just flat) to make a hide at one end then there's little "tunnel" and "cliff" type bits behind a through the others. I know what you mean by the sand my only issue is how can you clean their waste from it? x
Sand does not trap waste in the same way that gravel does, because it is more compact the waste sits on top instead of being drawn down into the substrate and can be easily siphoned off.

Return to “Speak Easy”