King Tigers (how many is too much?)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
d3221ck
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: fl

King Tigers (how many is too much?)

Post by d3221ck »

i have a large tank (250 gallons) that has A LOT of different hiding places but also have a lot of king tiger pleco's varying from size. it seems the smeller ones do not mind sitting in a pile of 10+ without issues but as they get older and if they keep breeding will they become more territorial like the elders? i cannot put an exact number on them but at least 40 are in the tank. the tank also has two large royals (6-7inch), am i going to have to get rid of the tigers soon for their saftey, they get along now but most are between 1-3".

i started with 3 baby tigers and 2 baby royals and the tank is over 10 years old i was a teenager when i got into plecos. i'm also now in some legal issues and prices for the king tigers seem to vary greatly, are they hard to sell?

thanks for any help, and all the help i've gotten in the past from this forum. :)

derrick101@yandex.com
yayfish24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: lancaster pa

Re: King Tigers (how many is too much?)

Post by yayfish24 »

For the right price id deff buy some. Pm me if your interested in selling some.
Templeflower
My cats species list: 3 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 2: United States

Post by Templeflower »

Depending on the age of the fish, the price you can get for them will vary greatly. If you need the money, think about selling young sexed pairs/trios. Proven adults will go for even more, it sounds like you probably have more then a few extra.

Before you do sell though, take a pic of your tank. 40+ king tigers at various ages must be a pretty awesome sight to behold!
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

i will try to get pictures in the next day, can i post them here? i think the forum will like because unlike the adults the ones born in the tank are not shy, so at any time i can see 20+ of them hanging out all over the place. the adults seem to hide deep inside tunnels. the tank is literally full of driftwood/large tunnels that even fit my royals. im looking for my old phone camera now, i don't have service but pictures should still work i hope to share, i'm proud of my tank. it has like a 7 foot thick tree branch and varies driftwood and i built a 5 foot skylight over it so the plants and fish get natural light. i hope to share soon thanks for the response. :)

derrick
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

yayfish24 wrote:For the right price id deff buy some. Pm me if your interested in selling some.
@yayfish24, you will be the first person i talk to. i am doing research on prices and the safest way to do this. i would like to make sure they get a good home as well that is why i would rather sell to people interested in plecos. thanks so much for your interest! they are very nice looking, they actually look like zebra's but i think because they are not full adults. they range from less than an inch to 3 or 4" and are easy to find and do not hide like the ones i got from the store 10 years ago or so.

derrick
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

ill be taking pictures and making videos in the next day or so. :) i hope it is not hard to post pictures here? i'll use youtube for the videos!
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

until i got a borrow a better camera, heres the tank and you might make out a few babies... camera has no flash or zoom and is only 3mp... :(
Attachments
tank
tank
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

sorry for terrible picture i'm working on getting better asap
Attachments
babies.jpg
babies.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
TheCichlidKid15
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Westchester, NY

Post by TheCichlidKid15 »

Hey pal, I actually have 4 L66's im trying to breed at the moment and would definitely be interested in purchasing some more, please email me at raydjr15@aol.com when your ready to go, thanks!
RD JR
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

[deleted]
Last edited by d3221ck on 25 Sep 2013, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Melander
I've donated: $10.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 18 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:4)
My BLogs: 6 (i:1, p:160)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Wicklow
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Melander »

Thanks for sharing this, I really like the tank. It's easy to see how they would feel secure in there.

Andreas
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

thanks, im in the process of borrowing a camera with a flash so hopefully i can get better detailed pictures of the king tigers.. it's frustrating with the phone when i have 7 piles on top of eachother and none come out because the phone camera. :( glad you liked, if i get a bunch of better one's i'll share.
Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

[deleted]
Last edited by d3221ck on 23 Sep 2013, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

learning the camera..
Attachments
practice.jpg
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

any tips to stop glare? maybe take the picture at night with flash without sunlight coming on the tank?
Attachments
practice2.jpg
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

the royal was showing off so i was trying different settings with the cam on him but you'll see a few tigers hiding out if you loose closely promise my next threat in the future will be close up of the tigers in good quality
Attachments
practice4.jpg
TheCichlidKid15
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Westchester, NY

Post by TheCichlidKid15 »

Mine are about 2 1/2 years old, i would love to add to the group!
RD JR
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

these looks very nice! I just recently got 6 L260s, so i ran out of room for more plecs, but if i didn't these would be a good bet!

try taking pics in evening when there is no light outside/interference.

Also you said they don't hide much. do you think they will hide a lot more once they get to adult size? i have 6 2" juvie L260 and they hide 100% of the time lol. in the driftwood and caves. at least i can shine a light in the caves and see them there. maybe they are just getting used to my tank.
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

d3221ck wrote:any tips to stop glare? maybe take the picture at night with flash without sunlight coming on the tank?
Take pictures at night with no external light other than that on top of the tank, don't use a flash unless it is an external one mounted above the tank.

Looks like a great set up!
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

[deleted]
Last edited by d3221ck on 25 Sep 2013, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

.Plecomania. wrote:these looks very nice! I just recently got 6 L260s, so i ran out of room for more plecs, but if i didn't these would be a good bet!

try taking pics in evening when there is no light outside/interference.

Also you said they don't hide much. do you think they will hide a lot more once they get to adult size? i have 6 2" juvie L260 and they hide 100% of the time lol. in the driftwood and caves. at least i can shine a light in the caves and see them there. maybe they are just getting used to my tank.
when i got the original 3 years ago, their were times where i thought they were all dead for a LONG time until the babies kept coming up. i see them more now, but it felt like they vanished for a year at one point. i'm hoping that the babies do not follow this trend, but when i bought the first 3 they were hide and now their babies are bigger and i can spot them at any time of the day/night and a lot of them. they seem to pile up on each other. i'm no expert but i was wondering if maybe the store i special ordered them were wild caught and they act different than bred fish? again, just a theory from how different. i literally think i went a year without seeing them at one point and figured the tank was a royal only tank until fry started popping up everywhere.... good question!
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

shoot that's crazy! i hope i get to see mine a lot more once they get bigger at least. mine are also tank bred but seem to hide like wild caught ones do.

since your tank's lighting is dependent on the light outside, can you cover all the blinds in the room with the tank to stop the glare?
your recent pictures are pretty good and sharp!
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

lastly, what kind of foods do the L066s get to eat/what do you feed them?
do they eat/you feed in the daytime as well as night time?
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

[deleted]
Last edited by d3221ck on 25 Sep 2013, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

fail, it was pitch black
Attachments
sorry
sorry
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

it can take a bit of practice to get the focus down right. try moving the camera back a bit or forward more and seeing which produces the clearest shot. don't forget to let the camera focus for a few seconds before pressing that button. i use a cheap camera so that's how i usually do it. if your camera is cheap then you might as well use flash because getting focused otherwise can be very tough.

still interested in the food question.
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

panda corys also breeding like crazy (wrong forum i know)
Attachments
bad.jpg
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

.Plecomania. wrote:it can take a bit of practice to get the focus down right. try moving the camera back a bit or forward more and seeing which produces the clearest shot. don't forget to let the camera focus for a few seconds before pressing that button. i use a cheap camera so that's how i usually do it. if your camera is cheap then you might as well use flash because getting focused otherwise can be very tough.

still interested in the food question.
i feed them flake food and tetra veggie algae waffers. this camera has all kinds of different flash methods, i will practice more. literally has a turn button to where i can choose about 10 different thing's that i have no idea are the difference. i never used it before this afternoon. :(

derrick
Attachments
bad3.jpg
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

[deleted]
Last edited by d3221ck on 25 Sep 2013, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
d3221ck

Post by d3221ck »

guys i just took a few random and think i seen the adult king tiger for the first time in over a year... i had no idea they got this big. .. seeing him next to the royal kind of freaked me out. i think i have been mistaken the list fry as the adults??? all the way to the left. this fish is old but i did not know they got this big..

all the way to the left side. shocked.
Attachments
adult.jpg

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”