Picture submissions / updates

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
Chicxulub
My images: 11
My cats species list: 10 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: I crash at the K-Pg

Picture submissions / updates

Post by Chicxulub »

If you all need higher resolution of any of these, I have high res versions of most of them.

Bagarius rutilus-

10"-

6.5", as you can see, the orange isn't as apparent when she was young. The orange started coming in at about 9-10" or so. I actually swore up and down that this fish was the dwarf species that we call B. bagarius because of the lack of orange.

Ictalurus furcatus-

Please remove the old pictures that I previously donated of this species. They don't accurately reflect my current photography skills and I'm worried that they'll make me look bad. Please feel free to pick and choose from the following images.

I had this fish in tropical temps and it turned out to be incredibly aggressive, shredding my Goliath tigerfish, goonch, juruense and my black arowana. I had to return her to the farm from which I bought her. Well, her behavior was functionally equivalent to aggression, but in reality I think she was just biting anything organic. Regardless of the reason though, she was the bitey-est fish I've ever kept.

She loved being in the powerful current that I have for my tigerfish. I have a battery of powerheads pushing 8000 gph and she habitually parked herself right in front of the powerheads and would cruise with the tiger when she wasn't harassing everyone else in the tank. I was quite impressed with the sheer power of her swimming ability.

I'd sum this fish up as having the appetite and friendly (to people) personality of a RTC, the attitude of a Jau and the activity level of an ID shark. All in all an absolutely wonderful fish, but terrible in a tropical community. I'd like to try again in a temperate community or with one as a solo specimen. It might be worth trying again with one that is much smaller than the terribly expensive fish I was trying to cohab it with.

Chicxulub

Re: Picture submissions / updates

Post by Chicxulub »

Also, figured I'd point out that the blue cat was in a holding tank. I wasn't trying to actually keep her in that 20L.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

If you could email the pics to me (hi-res) I will work through them and add some for sure.

Cheers,

Jools
Chicxulub

Post by Chicxulub »

Shot you a PM about the email, Jools.

I see that my rutilus pics aren't working for some reason. I'll be sure to get you some good ones in the email.

An interesting point to note at this juncture is that if my supposition about the 'dwarf' goonches being juvenile rutilus is correct, the Ben Lee's pics of the dwarf actually represent juvinile rutilus. The evidence is mounting in support of my breakdown of the genus as per the link in my sig. :)
Chicxulub

Post by Chicxulub »

I sent the pictures and data in a while ago. Was it received?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Yes, it's in my inbox somewhere. Will try to actually do something useful with it this week. Sorry if it's slow, but it's one of those "needs a bit of time" emails. I should be able to add at least the ictalurid photos shortly.

Cheers,

Jools
Chicxulub

Post by Chicxulub »

Jools wrote:Yes, it's in my inbox somewhere. Will try to actually do something useful with it this week. Sorry if it's slow, but it's one of those "needs a bit of time" emails. I should be able to add at least the ictalurid photos shortly.

Cheers,

Jools
No worries, boss! Just curious what the status was.

I realize some of the things I said might shake things up a bit and you'll probably want to talk with Dr. Ng. He is one of the main ones who pointed me in the direction that led to that conclusion after all. :)

Return to “All Resolved Issues”