Will plecos's eat aquarium plants?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jd_7655
Location 1: warren michigan

Will plecos's eat aquarium plants?

Post by jd_7655 »

I have 3 pleco's a L128 Blue Phantom, a L333 Hypancistrus, and a L134 Leapord Frog pleco. My Anubia's have been developing holes in the leaves and I can't figure out why. The leaves get holes then the rest of the leaf melts away. It's mostly happening on new growth leafs.

Anyone have any experience with pleco's in planted tanks? For the most part when I feed my fish the pleco's really like shrimp pellets or meaty foods.
wijnands
My images: 1
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: netherlands

Re: Will plecos's eat aquarium plants?

Post by wijnands »

It's not as simple as generalizing all plecos. I believe all your species are omnivores so not overly keen plant matter consumers. I keep ancistrus which prefer a largely vegetarian diet. These do damage plants when they're overly keen on algae but the damage they do isn't little holes.

Your symptoms sound like a nutrient deficiency for the plants. Small holes in new leafs remind me of a potassium shortage. MElting of the whole leaf can be changing conditions, it can also be nitrate shortage. I'd advice you to take some good pictures of the affected areas as well as an overview shot and as full a set of water test readings as you can and take that to a planted tank forum
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

Usually my anubias are left alone. But if my plecos do chew on the anubias, its at the base of the stem/petiole, not the leaf of the plant itself.
jd_7655
Location 1: warren michigan

Post by jd_7655 »

Ok thanks I appreciate the help!
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

I've had BN juveniles eat some of my red rubin swords' leaves until they developed holes and ended up all tattered. though the leaves didn't die soon after. the plant kept its leaves until they have run their course. my adult ancistrus don't eat my swords, but when the juvies got hungry...plus they had help from ramshorn snails too.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”