Hello from a Corydoras Compulsive Collector

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Hello from a Corydoras Compulsive Collector

Post by Supercorygirl »

So new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. Hi my name is Jenn, aka Supercorygirl aka Superguppygirl aka the crazy cory chick :-p . Ive meet a few other catfish enthusiasts on other sites and decided I needed to join one where my obsession won't be so odd. My enthusiasm was first snared by a delightfully engaging albino corydoras at a horrible lfs. The staff member assured me it would be fine as a single. So wrong, but led to my purchase of a 5G tank that day, some (now that I look back) incredibly sickly platies and guppies (12 in total :ymblushing: ) and the solitary cory. In my newbish fashion, I trusted the clerk. Set the tank up when I got home and promptly dumped the fish in. The poor cory was the only one to survive the two week unbeknownst me cycling. I adored that survivor and spoiled her like crazy after the others dropped like flies. Lesson learned for cycling and never trust anyone who doesn't own tanks and do my own research. Thus hooked on fish keeping I know have 13 tanks (2-1.5G, 4-10G, 2-15G, 1-35G, 1-30G, 1-60G, 2-75G). I recently met my cory god at Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs (CAOAC) Convention, Hello Ian! Listened avidly to his cory info session and live food culturing and managed to snag a gorgeous green laser print and pin from him. I recently downsized (damn near killed me) my collection of Cory's from over 250 to a mere 80, to concentrate on breeding these personality filled catfish. Currently am actively breeding or attempting (forgive lack of C numbers and Latin) : hastatus/ habrosus/ pygmy/ melantonaenia/ sterbai/ duplicareus/ black schultzei/ reticulated and once they grow green lasers. I am hoping to breed in the near future some tatia perugia but am still learning about these as they are my first foray away from Cory's beside the standard ABN and rubber lip pleco. So sorry for my long windedness but that's my story.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: Hello from a Corydoras Compulsive Collector

Post by syno321 »

Welcome Jenn! How are those Green Lasers growing for you? They are from excellent stock :d
Ask not...
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

Hi Paul. Coming too slow for my impatience but they will be getting a shuffle to their own tank and agree they are from EXCELLENT stock. ^:)^
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Welcome aboard SCG!

Jools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Welcome to PC :d
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

Welcome Jenn! Nice to see another avid cory enthusiast out in Western Canada!
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. True Madattover, there is not nearly enough of us. :-p
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Welcome,

Sadly the hardest skill I find to learn is leaving things alone and waiting for them to happen. Have 3 albino's I'm waiting to spawn as I need a few to keep a 2ft that's been refitted for fry keeping in a hurry clean. Nice to see someone else loves the Corydora's they may not be the brightest fish you can collect but they are one of the best community fish I have ever had. They don't bother anything and are very tolerant of everyone else. If you haven't already you can post in tank talk a few pictures I am sure allot of us would like to have a look at your collection.

My bronze pair in my community tank look more likely to spawn now and they will all be eaten before they hatch unless I am incredibly lucky to save some.
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

Once I'm done shuffling and reorganizing the jungles, I will definitely be sharing pics. Honestly I've had the best success with massive java moss amounts while in a community tank. I have a 75G that is currently a grow out tank as it contained 6 angelfish, 6+ of reticulated/sterbai/albino/peppered/green/bronze corys, 2BN 1 rubber lip 1 clown pleco. I went and rehomed all but reticulated and sterbai which I moved to another tank. I pulled all the plants but the moss and just left my sponge filter going, shutting off the canister. I ignored the tank for a week, did a WC, started moving the moss to reaquascape and found 30-40 cory fry. Couldn't believe it! Some look to be green/bronze and some look to be sterbai. Hoping to find some grow to be reticulated, as the growth rate varies on them. Another one I found hatches best left in with parents and moss are the dwarfs. Habrosus/Hastatus/Pygmyaeous I cannot seem to raise artificially but my colony (except hastatus) is practically tripled just leaving them in. Only tankmates were dwarf rainbows (thread fin and Aru 2) which probably allowed that to happen.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to Planet Catfish.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Edmonton and hope to return again in the not too distant future.

Ian

Return to “Speak Easy”