Best option for my L14 pair

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Best option for my L14 pair

Post by mcaquatic »

So I have a healthy 11 inch female sunshine in my 75g and my 12 inch male who is in "quarantine" and still be nursed back to good health in my 90g. My 90g was a beautiful planted tank, but the male took care of that problem and destroyed it as expected. Once healthy I want to get him out of there (then I can use the tank to grow out my small sunshines). I do intend on trying to spawn the pair eventually but not going to "actively try" to make it happen for another year or two. I need some input on how to best keep these two in the mean time. My options are:

1)keep the female in her 75g with two 6-7 inch pairs of thin bar silver dollars, a 5 inch TAFT, a three inch syndo decorus, and a mild manner green terror. I would move the male to the 125g with six 4 to 7 inch mixed silver dollars (regular and wide bar)shoal, 11 inch odeo pike, 6 inch syndo feather fin, 7 inch vieja fenestratum (don't think he will cause a problem but if so he is gone) and 8 inch or so polypterus delhezi and palmas buettikoferi.

2) put the pair into the 125g together and move out the polypterus to the 75g

3) put the pair in the 75g with tons of drift woods and large breeding caves for hides and move out the silver dollars and green terror. I would move my four inch panda uarus in with them though.

4) all bad ideas

If i can get them into the 75 away from the silver dollars I can feed them more then once a day, with the SDs it is very hard to get food to them during the day time.

thanks for the input
Andrewjw
I've donated: $600.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 45 (i:21, k:0)
My BLogs: 24 (i:29, p:1094)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: St Louis
Location 2: St Louis Missouri
Interests: Fish!

Re: Best option for my L14 pair

Post by Andrewjw »

How about Option #5. Sell them to me!!!

i think the two together in the 125, without the poly sounds best....these guys like to/need to, eat a lot.
Andy
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Post by mcaquatic »

Andrewjw wrote:How about Option #5. Sell them to me!!!

i think the two together in the 125, without the poly sounds best....these guys like to/need to, eat a lot.
Andy

Lol thanks for the input. These beauties aren't going anywhere.
magdalo
My cats species list: 7 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Amadeo, Cavite
Location 2: Philippines

Post by magdalo »

Option number 2 seems to be the best choice. Can't go wrong with a bigger tank for the pair.
Bellenz
Location 2: Indonesia
Interests: Visit us at booth 4-119 Interzoo 2012

Post by Bellenz »

I put my 1 male and 2 females in a 470 liter aquarium. With a wood and a cave with good oxygen and food supply.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”