L183 turning white?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Hmong_xiong
Location 2: Milwaukee,Wisconsin USA

L183 turning white?

Post by Hmong_xiong »

I bought some L183 adult pairs 2 months ago. They are eating like pigs but all of a sudden the male started to turn white? He eats a lot but he is pale white maybe this is parasites?
zeebo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: CT, USA

Re: L183 turning white?

Post by zeebo »

hi, some IP's you will see in the poo. I noticed some clear segments of poo in my dither fish , so I treated for IP's. I have 2 L128's in this tank. I am really not familiar with all types of IP's, so perhaps other members can be more informative.

One thing to mention, I have a 5" L128 who went completely white, like a ghost. A few times last month ,which after eliminating everything else , realized it is prob caused by stress. He never turned white till we had to work on the tank for a long period of time(thought is was a leak--ended up not tank, but filter leak behind the plastic backround) but seems this set it off , turned white that night,next morning he was back to blue* He did have some kind of skin bacterial problem though because when he turned back to blue, his skin was translucent ,almost pink you could see through the blue,so treated with Artemiss for bacterial and all fine. . This ghost-like apperance happened again after trying to take photos of him, and again when full tank vacuum where I removed everything, those nights he looked like a ghost, but in am he was back to looking like a normal blue phantom. I have kept L128's for over 5 yrs and never saw this before. As long as he was eating, I was glad,but still concerned.

I can tell you it freaked me out seeing him like that. Not sure what is going on with your guy, but has there been any stress for him recently ? Enough caves and hidey places ? Is his entire body white ? Is the skin sloughing ?-that would be more serious. Can you post a pic? HTH , Georgie
Hmong_xiong

Post by Hmong_xiong »

Is funny how you said that lol he turned back to all black today weird! Ill post a photo tomorrow night.
zeebo

Post by zeebo »

glad to hear he is back to his normal color. If it happens again, try to see if there is a stress factor , then you can eliminate other nasties. One thing I noticed you said was you have 2 pair, and not sure ,but one male will try to be dominate to get both females sometimes, so this guy could be getting hassled. Usually it is better to get more females to males if possible.

A picture would be great .

Georgie
Hmong_xiong

Post by Hmong_xiong »

zeebo

Post by zeebo »

hi, hard to tell, as I can't blow up the picture. But my blue phantom went completely white,from nose to tail when this happened. I can't tell from your photo, but does his skin look translucent where you can see pink through it ? I had this prob and treated for external bacterial problem with Aretmiss bacterial med. It worked great .

Has it happened again or is this the only time?

Do you have enough caves and hidey places. The dominant male will fight for all best stuff, incl hiding places, females,food, etc, and the other male will suffer. Can you remove one pair to another tank?. That way each will have their female and no hassles. Do you see the males engaging in spats? One male will want to become alpha/dominant and nudge the weaker male out of the picture ,so to speak.

This could be stress , especially if he is back to his natural color, but if it happens again, think about giving him and his gal their own tank and keep an eye on his skin. It almost looks like he is ''pineconing" , but very hard to say in a small photo. Maybe ohter members can chimein if they see something wrong..

Good luck with him , and hope he has been keeping his normal color. Georgie
Hmong_xiong

Post by Hmong_xiong »

Ok thanks

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”