Suggestions for Pleco-like cats?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
moonbunny
Location 1: Just East of Phoenix, AZ
Location 2: Just East of Phoenix, AZ

Suggestions for Pleco-like cats?

Post by moonbunny »

Hi,

I adore plecos, but I understand you can only have maybe 2 or 3 per 55G tank (I already have 2 pleco girls and I don't have enough space for pleco fry.) I just think they're beautiful fish and would love to have others in the tank that at least remind me of them. I also have a cory and am thinking of getting a 4-5 more for a little shoal. The tank's getting a makeover to accommodate pieces of mopani, a smaller, softer substrate, an aerator and other things to reflect a river biotope. I'd love to have fish at all tank levels. Essentially I'd like a minimally to moderately stocked tank. Ideally, I love to find a fish or two that would be interactive with me. I'd do a tank full of all catfish if it were possible. That would be a treat!

Any suggestions on fish or tank design appreciated greatly.

Thanks so much!
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Suggestions for Pleco-like cats?

Post by Birger »

Can you be more specific what kind of "pleco" you like...there are literally hundreds of species considered under this common name, anything from tiny to huge.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/fa ... amily_id=4

Birger
Birger
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

Check this out, it might give you some ideas. Good luck.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariu ... hp?t=92700
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
zeebo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: CT, USA

Post by zeebo »

hi, well they don't look like plecs ,but have you thought about a farlowella or two ? Basically they look like sticks, but mine hangs off the wood looking like another branch , lays on the slate and can be seen very easily, and cleans the glass and decorations . I have 2 L128's in a 54g with him, and he eats same veggies as they do but goes nuts for zucchini. He's a cool cat. I have read of someone who hand feeds theirs but I have never tried. Just a suggestion...they don't take up a lot of room and are very docile. They do need veggies along with their cleaning duties though.
Georgie
zeebo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: CT, USA

Post by zeebo »

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”