Fungus and Corydoras Aeneus eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Arlington
My cats species list: 8 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: San Antonio, TX

Fungus and Corydoras Aeneus eggs

Post by Arlington »

The last two spawns I've had have been rout with fungus. The First spawn occurred in my community tank. I removed as many as possible into a breeding net thing by trying to catch a female who was holding eggs in her fin pouch which she released into the fish net. I placed the net in the breeder net thing. I also removed a spray bar that had attached eggs to a 20gal long that was running empty. Both the breeder net and the 20gal were soon attacked by fungus. Only 2eggs hatched from the breeder net. I moved them to a floating Tupperware dish, which soon overturned and the fry were eaten. The 20gal produced nothing. SO this time around I moved the breeding fish to a tank of there own, which resulted in a spawn of around 150 eggs. I promptly removed the Corydoras aeneus group back to the community tank and treated the tank with a product called Maroxy, active ingredient "Stabilized Chlorine oxides", "for true fungal infections of fish and eggs" the package reads. This morning I was disappointed to see that all 150 eggs or so have fungus on them.

What do i need to do in order to eliminate the fungus in this or future spawns?

The tank is a 22 gal sand bottom and 1 sponge filter, 1 power head driven sponge filter.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Re: Fungus and Corydoras Aeneus eggs

Post by corybreed »

Hi Arlington,

Sorry to hear about your hatching difficulties. Next time they spawn try using a few drops of Methylene Blue to prevent the eggs from fungusing.

Mark
Arlington
My cats species list: 8 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: San Antonio, TX

Post by Arlington »

Thank you, Corybreed. I just found some Kordon's Methylene Blue at a lfs today. This stuff used to be found in all the local aquatic shops but it is not so easy to find now. Thank you for the tip, I'll give it a go.
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

Post by corylady »

i'm a cory breeder and deal with fungus also. i move my eggs from the spawning tank by rolling them onto my finger and rolling them on the glass in a clean 5 gal. leaving them in the spawning tank leaves them open to fungus from left over food. etc. i also use methalyne blue. but an angel breeder i know uses hydrogen peroxide, 1 cap per gal. 2 times a day as it dissipates quickly. he never has fungus. i have tried it and it works but i was concerned about the presence of the peroxide with newly hatched fry. it doesn't bother his angels tho. use at least 10 drops of blue to ea. gal. of water.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

That's very interesting. I have not heard of using Hydrogen Peroxide to prevent eggs from fungusing. I believe adding Hydrogen Peroxide will boost the O2.

Mark
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

Post by corylady »

i heard about the peroxide from David at Angelfishusa. he has HIGH dollar fish ( 1500 for certain fish.each.) he is a big distributor and can be found on the internet. he does the same with his dicus. i'v never seen meth blue in his breeding room.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”