sick Corydoras Sterbai - help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mckayser
Location 2: United Kingdom

sick Corydoras Sterbai - help

Post by mckayser »

Hi there,
I am in need of some help, i cannot figure out what is wrong with my catfish... it started with a small white patch on his nose, but over a few days, it has grown into a bubble... I treated him with http://www.petsathome.com/shop/love-fis ... ment-96709 a couple of days ago, but so far, no improvement...

hopefully i can get some opinions and suggestions from the uploaded pictures ?

many thanks
catfish 1.jpg
catfish 2.jpg
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: sick Corydoras Sterbai - help

Post by Richard B »

First off, the substrate (gravel in this case) is really unsuitable for Cory cats. Some of the pieces are quite angular/sharp & this can lead to barbel/nose damage where infection can set in.

Corys really need to be over a fine sand with smooth round grains. There are specific sands available or people use pool filter sand or kids play sand to great effect as cheap alternatives (there is plenty of cases of this & accompanying information in various threads you can find within PC).

From the pics it is hard to say for sure but if its fungus or bacterial, just follow the directions on the meds you are using.

If it is caused by the substrate then it might be a bodily reaction to the natural behaviour of nose sifting through the substrate, like growing a scab or callus. If it is this then you need to remove the cause to prevent reoccurrance or it worsening
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

Post by corylady »

i breed trilineatus corys. one of my females came up with the same identical looking thing. my substrate is small rounded aquarium gravel. i know, everybody thinks sand. this female is the only one in10 to come up w/this. been doin these fish in this substrate 3 yrs. i got som Maroxy. spendy but worth it. for fungus and stuff. i made a dip and dipped her every other day. (the other fish were fine) it went away, it took a couple-3 weeks. that was over a year ago and i've had no problem even similar since.i also breed orange lasers on the same gravel and no problems. they like digging in it. also when i collect eggs in the spawning tank and eggs fall in the gravel, they hatch without being eaten and hang out under the sponge filter until i collect them.
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

The gravel on the pictures is totally unsuitable for corys. This is sharp gravel. The cory probably has some bacterial infection that developed in the wound caused by the gravel.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”