flashing corys

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

flashing corys

Post by corylady »

ibreed corys. trilineatus and orange lasers. i just got my lasers from peru a month ago. they spawned for me already. but a couple r flashing. i know how to treat them but with how much medicine? gill flukes r my suspicion as a couple r breathing a little harder than they should. plenty of air in the tank too. help!
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Re: flashing corys

Post by Corycory »

Have you checked for ammonia/nitrIte? Corys will flash even with undetectable levels. Mine do when I overcleen the filters. Or the dechlorinator could be the problem, API stress coat in particular is off my shopping list. A double doze of it and the hole tank of corys starts flashing.
If yours are wild caught, they could be of course be carrying parasites and flukes but I have no idea what medication would be harmless enough to treat.
corylady
Location 2: davie, florida

Re: flashing corys

Post by corylady »

thanx, corycory.i don't think ammonia/nitrites r the problem. i do water changes every 3 days. sorry u don't like stress coat but it works well for me. but u r correct. u can't use much of it. and i don't. then ammonia/ nitrite levels have been good everytime i've checked. itt's only 1 fish basicly concerned with. the 2 others that started r breathing good. the 1's breathing is a little stressed. that's why i think it's gill flukes. fish has been like that since i got it also, another reason for concern. a friend who bought fish from the same person said some of his fish came in w/problems. all are wild caught. i want to treat the whole tank to be safe for flukes but the dosage is still an issue w/them. thanx for the input.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”