cory/pleco compatability with puffer

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pherfect
Location 1: University Place, Wa

cory/pleco compatability with puffer

Post by pherfect »

Hi everyone, I have the beginnings of a snail outbreak in my tank, which has 2 spotted cories, 1 juvenelle sailfin pleco, and 3 blackskirt tetras. I have read that the figure eight puffer can help clean up the snail population, but my understanding is that they can be aggressively nippy. Does this nippy behavier apply to the cories and pleco?Your input would help.
Thanks, Chris
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Yes, it does. Besides, figure 8 puffers are brackish water fish and are happier in a brackish water setup.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Snail outbreaks are nornally cauased by over feeding or excess waste in my experience, but it depends how many you are seeing. I suggest a group of botia.

read the post in tank talk or speak easy about snail removal.
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

I suggest a group of botia.
Tank size would be interesting for any suggestions wouldnt it? And how it is filtered.
cheers
Christian
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Yeap Snail invasion are usually sign of overfeeding.... so you probably shall resolve that problem first before passing to the snail.

Depending on what puffer do you talk, some do grow large, some need brackish water, some live in freshwater, some migh harm your fish instead of the snail, finally some might be what you need but won't be able to survive in your tank because of several parameters.

Botia can also be a good idea, several dwarf species will also eat the snail and sort of regulate the population but they will never totally eradicate the problem.
Be careful also some of the dwarf species are nasty little fellows that might hurt your Corys...

What type of tank do you have, size, fourniture, water... and what fish are in and how many???

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
otg
Location 1: Australia

Post by otg »

puffers are brackish as everyone has said and snails are usually cuased fro over feeding also as everyone said but sometimes it just happens and they break out and they're everywhere . But if u have the room get some clown loaches as they are an excellent fish and will the clear the snails up in a matter of days.But having said that clown loaches like to be in groups 3+ otherwise they can get very stressed and ill so make sure you have enough room for all of them before u buy some.

p.s. they will get along fine with your other fish as i have 4 in with some panda corys a julli cory 2 bristlenose.
Mooncaller
Location 1: Santa Rosa California
Interests: Math, botany, pastal art, Science Fiction, and freshwater and brackish enviroments

Post by Mooncaller »

A much better choice of puffer would be Colomesus asellus. It is a fresh water species that get to be about 14cm. It is found throughout the Amazon basin, including waters were corys are found. I find that they do not have the bad habits of some of the others. If you do decide to get one, you will need to feed it well for a week or so. The ones I have seen come into Aquarium stores are very malnurished. Because of popularity, they do not stay in the store long enough for the shop keepers to correct this. They might not take flake right away, but regular feeding with brin shrimp will get them healthy. Put some high quality flake in with the brin shrimp feedings, and within a few days, they will be going after it with vigour. I have never had a problem keeping them with corys. I currently have a small one with some C. adolfi.
An aquarium without catfish is like a rockband without a bass player!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”