My very first post

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Lepidosauria
Location 1: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

My very first post

Post by Lepidosauria »

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Clayton; I'm 19 years old and have been keeping fish for about 2 years now. Lol, sound like I'm at an AA meeting only for fish. My first fish were six 2.5" leopoldi angelfish and a Clown Pleco in a 54 gal tank. I built a 62 gal sump myself for it. That tank has been no problem at all, I have since had only one batch of angel eggs but I successfully raised them and sold them. I have kept numerous South American Dwarf Cichlids since then, had as many as 5 tanks running as well. About 7 months ago I set up a 20 gal salt tank with 2 tomato clowns and both are doing very well to this point. About 2 months ago I added a bubble tipped anemone to it. I am only running 3 tanks right now (I have a Betta in a 5.5 gal, lol its my only normal fish aside from some cardinals as dither fish and that clown pleco). I am now turning my attention to Cats, mostly Corys but also b/c I bought a pleco from my work (btw I work at an independent pet store in the Edmonton area, been there 4 yrs com Feb.) About 1.5 yrs ago and never bothered to figure out what it is.

I hope that wasnâ??t too much info. I am heavy into researching fish b4 I buy them and it has shown because the only fish I have lost have been due to the fickle nature of Cichlids and that they occasionally decide no longer to like their neighbor. Anyways, I hope to learn much from you all since I really know nothing about Cats aside that some are really good at cleaning up excess food or algae. I know a little about basic water requirements too but a fair bit of what I do know regarding that has been some guess and test.

Thanks and nice to meet you all,
Clayton
I hated fish 4 yrs ago, i hated them and hated them and hated them. Now I am setting up to grow out a friends fish. Go Fig.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Clayton,

Welcome and it's really good to hear from a new(ish) hobbyist that is keen to learn and likes to research BEFORE purchase! I'm sure we can all help with that in some way or another.

We WILL try our damnedest to convert you from the "dark side" (marines) and away from those popular cichlids. :-)

Jools

PS What does your signature mean?
Lepidosauria

Post by Lepidosauria »

I didn't exactly choose to do marine. Actually a buddy of mine was tearing down his 86 reef and gave me the clowns and half the other stuff I have for it. M
y signature refers to Graffiti art software that uses a pen. I was referring to an actual signature
I hated fish 4 yrs ago, i hated them and hated them and hated them. Now I am setting up to grow out a friends fish. Go Fig.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

It's funny, so many people get into the hobby becuase they are taking stuff from a friend who is getting out. It's one of the nice parts of the hobby I think.

Ah, I understand about your signature now, I was not thinking!

Anyway, welcome on-board - I hope we can help you with your catfish journey! :)

Jools
Lepidosauria

Post by Lepidosauria »

actually he was jsut gettin awway from salt, it was killing his septic (supposedly)
and he needed the tank space. He is a african cichlid breeder and was expanding his set up. Prooly one of the most knowledgable ppl i know regarding fish.
Mirra
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta

Re: My very first post

Post by Mirra »

Lepidosauria wrote:..... my work (btw I work at an independent pet store in the Edmonton area, been there 4 yrs com Feb.) .......

Thanks and nice to meet you all,
Clayton
Hey
Which one??
Lepidosauria

Post by Lepidosauria »

I'm at Family Pet out in sherwood park. We don't do a ton of really cool cats but we have a few Aquarium club guys comin through from time to time. You go there ever Mirra?
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Lepidosauria welcome to planet catfish.
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

Hello and welcome! There is a store off Whyte Ave called Dad's Fish Room (99th St) that often has unusual corys and whatnot. I also got a heads up from a fellow in Sask who told me the Edm Aquarium Club is active in cats too. They have an ad on the Buy and Sell in the aquarium section which is a great place to look for deals btw url here

http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?resu ... r=25&i=425

Good luck! PS - if you're interested in the boxes I would not recommend Big Al's had poor history there, lost three fish in three trips to get 20-odd, not impressed, even though they have a great selection, lots of fancy expensive plecos and an arowana for $5400!! (that's about 3000 quid all in for those on the other side btw). Petsmart on Calg Trail usually has a pretty good selection of exotic fish, or try Aquarium Illusions in the west end on Mayfield Rd.

Good luck!
Last edited by metallhd on 23 Nov 2003, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
Mirra
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta

Post by Mirra »

Lepidosauria wrote:I'm at Family Pet out in sherwood park. We don't do a ton of really cool cats but we have a few Aquarium club guys comin through from time to time. You go there ever Mirra?
I think so.
Hubby works out on 17th and one day we went to a LFS behind the SaveOn off 101ave.
Is this the one? Or is Family Pet a diffrent one. Is there more than one in Sherwood Park
If it is the one im thinking of the fish were nice and healthy but just too far for me to go to.
right now Big Als on 99st and 34th Ave has a whole huge selection of fancy plecos all at about 50$.
They have one that is selling for $350 or so a nice BIG gold one.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Hello! Welcome to Planet Catfish! :D

Graeme.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
Welcome here!

Well it is sort of an AA convention but it we won't help you to cure your disease, actually we just might to make it worst...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “Speak Easy”