What is your dream Aquarium?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
KitWitty
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Oklahoma, US

What is your dream Aquarium?

Post by KitWitty »

what size? theme? substrate? plants? fish? inverts? made up fish? it's your idea, why not go wild?

i'd have a 100 gallon long tank with natural colored sand and large river rocks and lots of smaller plants and a christmas moss wall. i'd have 10 Banjo catfish (colombianus variety), 20 cardinal tetras, 15 long finned danios, 1 male betta splendens, and 30 red cherry shrimp. this may sound boring and simple to many, but i'd love it.
Srsly from KitWitty
ElTofi
My articles: 3
My images: 47
My cats species list: 33 (i:13, k:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:0, p:373)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Châtel St Denis
Location 2: Switzerland

Re: What is your dream Aquarium?

Post by ElTofi »

Barcelone, Amazonian tank with mangrove above it : 1000 m2

but more responsabily, I did this one in my basement's house :
the Potamotrygon adventure has begun...
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

An underwater viewing room alongside a large heated african pool - like the one i visited in Kenya; Mzima springs i think it was.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magicalkenya/3507615706/
http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/d ... 5-pic2.jpg
http://www.africaimagelibrary.com/media ... ch=tourism

Why settle for a tank?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

In an ideal world with unlimited dollars for upkeep, unlimited supply of ideal water, and every species I'd ever wanted available to me, then I'd love something like ElTofi posted in his first pic (BTW where was that?! I'd love to visit some day).

I'm in the planning stages of setting up my "realistic dream tank" now. With the constraints of a limited income, limited space, limited water supply, limited species available and limited time for maintenance, I'm going for just under 2000L (probably 250x120x65cm), and it will be stocked with a mixture of plecs, eartheaters, uaru and a black aro. My "realistic dream tank" would probably be pretty similar in size, the only thing different would be the stocking; instead of our plain old mass-asian-bred cichlids [and only G. altifrons and S. leucosticta] I'd have wild caught or F1 Geophagus, Satanoperca, Hoplarchis, and Uaru (and seems how we're dreaming I'd be able to keep Uaru fernandezyepezi in a big comm tank as they'd be hardy and easy to keep! :P), and instead of plain old L190 I'd have L330 and L27. And of course I'd still have a black aro!
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

6'l x 3'w x 2'h - large school of Lamprichthys tanganicodus to highlight 4 S. granulosus
Ask not...
ElTofi
My articles: 3
My images: 47
My cats species list: 33 (i:13, k:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:0, p:373)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Châtel St Denis
Location 2: Switzerland

Post by ElTofi »

David R wrote:In an ideal world with unlimited dollars for upkeep, unlimited supply of ideal water, and every species I'd ever wanted available to me, then I'd love something like ElTofi posted in his first pic (BTW where was that?! I'd love to visit some day).
The biggest aquarium of http://www.barcelona.de/en/barcelona-mu ... caixa.html in Barcelone (Spain), I've been told... the one of Berlin (Germany) is quite well with huge biotope tank, too... Both are on my "wish list" for a visit...
Last edited by ElTofi on 17 Jul 2012, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
the Potamotrygon adventure has begun...
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

syno321 wrote:6'l x 3'w x 2'h - large school of Lamprichthys tanganicodus to highlight 4 S. granulosus
I think the Granulosa might start snacking on some of the killis. Sidguppy has reported on them eating Cyprichromis...
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
fatboy8
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Pennsylvania

Post by fatboy8 »

Anything large enough to house a wels or two would work for me. I don't even want to get into demensions but I will tell you itd be one large tank.
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

[quote="Richard B"][quote="syno321"]6'l x 3'w x 2'h - large school of Lamprichthys tanganicodus to highlight 4 S. granulosus[/quote]

I think the Granulosa might start snacking on some of the killis. Sidguppy has reported on them eating Cyprichromis...[/quote]
That's too bad. In my ignorance I'd have thought that the Lamprichthys would have been too large. I guess just the granulosus then.
Ask not...
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

ElTofi wrote:The biggest aquarium of http://www.barcelona.de/en/barcelona-mu ... caixa.html in Barcelone (Spain), I've been told... the one of Berlin (Germany) is quite well with huge biotope tank, too... Both are on my "wish list" for a visit...
Thanks, we're currently planning another trip to Europe for next year, we weren't planing on going to Spain, but ....... :d

The Berlin Aquarium has some very nice displays, we went there last year and were very impressed. There were several smaller South American displays with plecs, rays, eartheaters, discus, tetras, angels, apistos etc (not all in the one tank!!) and two larger SA displays, one with "medium" fish like silver arowana, peacock bass, armartus and piranha, and another with the real big boys like pacu, red tailed catfish and of course an arapaima! Well worth a visit if you're in the area, here are a few pics.

Nice Panaque

Biggest school of cardinals I've ever seen, plus wild discus and angels

The big guy

My wife watching the other big SA display, there is 6 [IIRC] of these style tanks forming a semi-circle around the end of the building, very impressive!

Me getting intimate with the arowanas, they were huge! Biggest was close to 4', the biggest p-bass were probably around 3' and the large armartus a similar size.

They also had two floors above for reptiles and insects with some very interesting displays. SLightly off-topic, but a good example of what my "dream tank" would be like!!
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
scientist0724
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA

Post by scientist0724 »

Mine would be a really large planted tank like this one...

Arlene
Attachments
Amano tank.JPG
Amano tank.JPG (28.16 KiB) Viewed 7527 times
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

While I would love to be able to do a Tanganyikan tank someday, nothing comes close to...

I have several of the species shown in this amazing clip (S. notata; S. brichardi; S. casuarius; S. tinanti), some others from the Zaire River area (S. flavitaeniata; S. congica; M. polli) and other fish on my wishlist (B. longipinnis; A. spoilopterus; P. debauwi/buffei), but my 5x2x2 has nothing on the layout [bogwood rather than that intricate rockwork] and apparent current [despite having ~8300lph of filters/powerheads] of this inspiring tank.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

for me this is a dream tank. I would have a different looking decor but the fish and techniques shown in this clip are just outstanding.
Greetings, Tim
jippo
My images: 102
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 80 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
Spotted: 38
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Turku

Post by jippo »

N0body Of The Goat wrote:While I would love to be able to do a Tanganyikan tank someday, nothing comes close to...

I have several of the species shown in this amazing clip (S. notata; S. brichardi; S. casuarius; S. tinanti), some others from the Zaire River area (S. flavitaeniata; S. congica; M. polli) and other fish on my wishlist (B. longipinnis; A. spoilopterus; P. debauwi/buffei), but my 5x2x2 has nothing on the layout [bogwood rather than that intricate rockwork] and apparent current [despite having ~8300lph of filters/powerheads] of this inspiring tank.
Thanks a lot :ymblushing: .

Tank setup at that video was not so good, it was much better later. I was testing many things with that tank, and only to get something bigger...

So my dream would be around 300x100x50cm river tank with lots of water circulation. Lots of rocks but also more wood that I have used before at river tank. Group of syno brichardi, notata, soloni and caudalis, some Euchilichthys and Chiloglanis, also cichlids like Steatocranus, Teleogramma and Gobiocichla, and group of Garra congoensis, Nannocharax and Bryconaethiops boulengeri!
Morgul
Location 2: spain

Post by Morgul »

4 meter crenichicla strigata & pseudacanthicus tank
no words
Viktor Jarikov
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

A great natural-looking tank, the likes of that Barcelonian one, but where I'd be, or at least feel like, a guest.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

My dream tank would be a square U shaped. The sides would be 12 ft long, the center would be 20 ft long and the whole thing would be 4 feet tall by 4 feet wide. I'd have my own mini-Tanganyika with every lamprologine, tropheus, synodontis I could get my hands on. A lounge chair that swivels and some Tea, and I'd be in heaven. No idea how many gallons it would be, I'm on my cell, otherwise, I'd look it up. My wife says as soon as I buy her a house, I can build my dream tank. :)
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
amiidae
My images: 547
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 179
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

I don't dream to have giant size tank. Will be happy to have a 600gal tank with karst / subterranean type of set up dedicated for Cave fishes. :)
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

subterranean type of set up dedicated for Cave fishes. :)
Now you are talking...I have been thinking how to do something like this for awhile.(but smaller)

Birger
Birger
amiidae
My images: 547
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 179
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

Opps.. should be 600L. 5x2.5 or 4x3 ft.

Some inspiration.

http://anotheca.com/wordpress/2011/04/2 ... cave-fish/

http://club.china.com/data/thread/1011/ ... 6/1_1.html

Interesting setup. : Subterranean waters of Mexico

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/show86.html
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
lotsabettas
Location 1: Pa, USA
Location 2: Pittsburgh
Interests: reptiles, animals

Post by lotsabettas »

I always said if I won the powerball I would have a fish room... but by fishroom I mean a huge room where there is one big custom molded tank made to include all the walls and ceiling with enough room inside to house a single recliner :d

Return to “Tank Talk”