baby Ancistrus cf_cirrhosus with white stripe on caudal fin

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
ancistreisand
Location 2: Netherlands

baby Ancistrus cf_cirrhosus with white stripe on caudal fin

Post by ancistreisand »

Hello everybody,

Two days ago I bought a fish under the name 'Ancistrus', after some googling I came to the conclusion that it is most likely to be a 'regular' Ancistrus cf_cirrhosus.
But he/she has a white stripe at the end of the caudal fin what made me think about the Dolichopterus, so just to make sure hopefully you can clear things up.
This is the picture I made, hopefully it is clear enough, if not please let me know and I'll try to make more when he reveals him/herself.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Anci Streisand
steveh28
My cats species list: 31 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 10 (i:2, p:347)
Location 2: Massillon, OH

Re: baby Ancistrus cf_cirrhosus with white stripe on caudal

Post by steveh28 »

It is most likely a common Ancistrus. The young will have the white along the fins, and as they grow it will fade out.

If it were true dolicoptrus, it would likely be very expensive and not thriving in the store, unless it is an exceptional lfs, as they have very specific needs that most stores (at least in this area) will not be able to maintain.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ancistreisand
Location 2: Netherlands

Re: baby Ancistrus cf_cirrhosus with white stripe on caudal

Post by ancistreisand »

Thank you for your help.

One more vid for cuteness

Return to “What is my catfish?”