Tiger shovelnose catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Deborah
Location 1: Wales, U.K

Tiger shovelnose catfish

Post by Deborah »

Hi,

Can someone please tell how quickly a Tiger shovelnose grows, based on good water quailty, adequate food, e.t.c
Thanks Deborah.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

About 1-2" a month.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Hi
Thanks, have you had personal experience of this fish? I keep large cichlids e.t.c and did have a smaller one, unfortunately it didn't last too long - it became lunch. Funny thing was it was too big to fit into the other fishes mouths. Anyway, I have another tank set up and now seriously thinking of getting another. The other one sort of landed on me thanks to friends.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

umm, before purchasing you might consider looking at this thread... http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=3965
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

S. Allen wrote:umm, before purchasing you might consider looking at this thread... http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=3965
Absolutely. This is not a fish for the home aquarium. Properly cared for it will grow in excess of a metre. The only way to prevent this is to deliberately mistreat it so that it is stunted, which is ethically unacceptable.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

They are great pics, thanks for linking them. I see what you mean. Eventually I'm going to have a large indoor pond for all my large fishes.
Thanks everyone!
Devorah.
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

...but you know that the pond would have to be at least 5x5x2 meters to make a proper home for 1!! adult fish! And if it doesnt get to this size you practically kill it slow and cruel.
Just my 2 cents
cheers
Christian
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

An indoor swimming pool :D
Skyetone
Location 1: SLC Utah

Post by Skyetone »

I have two tigers. one is 18inches roughly (trade in locally) and one is 6inches. raised.
The bigger one I swear hasn't really grown much in my 280 gallon tank. The other goes through growing spurts about every 3months. He will spurt about an inch. I plan to buy a house with a swiming pool in the back. But my lady already complains about the idea of swimming with the fisheys. PLus the feeding cost would be outragous.... a 4-6 foot long fish.
Catfish geek in utah

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”